Getting ready

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lynda.carter

Getting ready

Post by Lynda.carter »

I have had this app for sometime now and feel that the time is right for me to get off my couch and start. I am really overweight and want to do something that does not involve the gym and gets me out doors on summer evenings. I hope that once I get started then the bug will kick in and I will continue running during the winter
benjohn

Re: Getting ready

Post by benjohn »

Grab your shoes, and get out there and go for it! Then let us know how it goes :-)

All the best!
Biscottisblog

Post by Biscottisblog »

Hi Lynda,

Everyone on here was a running beginner. Doesn't matter if someone is a regular gym goer, plays squash, walks the dogs often etc, we all picked get running because it was something we aspired to do. Thinking about how tough it might be is always a bigger hurdle to get over than actually getting outside and achieving small, but significant improvements.

Running for 1 minute straight is amazing when you weren't able to do it before. Doing that another 5 times feels like a marathon but the achievement it is AMAZING!!

Give it a go, we all struggled when we first started. The only way to fail is to sit and think about it instead of giving it a go!

Happy running! :D
biscottisblog.co.uk xx
matt

Post by matt »

Hi Lynda,

I can only really echo what others have said. I was a complete beginner when I started with Get Running. And I went through the plan, exactly how it said. Some of it was a real challenge. Some runs were easier, some were harder -- even if they were the same run from the same week of the plan!

I was also overweight. Still am, in fact, although since I started running I'm down about fifteen pounds (about 7kg.) I found that running helped me lose weight not just because of the exercise, but also because it was one more motivation to watch what I was eating. I'm now signed up for a half-marathon in September (gulp!) and every pound I lose before then is a pound I won't have to drag thirteen miles around the course!

I started Get Running at the end of last July, and it's not a bad time to start. Apart from the week or two where we had serious ice and snow, I then ran all through the winter, and it's actually quite nice running in cooler weather, once you've got up to the stage where you're running continuously...

Anyway. Any time is a good time to start. It may take a while for the bug to kick in, but if you stick with the plan, I'm sure it will!

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
NoislessPenguin

Post by NoislessPenguin »

Any time is a good time to start indeed! I couldn't run for more than one minute without feeling like I would collapse six weeks ago and yesterday I ran non-stop for TWENTY MINUTES. I'm amazed!

If you have an iPod Touch (second or third generation) or an iPhone (any, I think) you should try a Nike+ sensor! It's great for viewing your progress and very cheap – about £12 for the sensor and £7 for a pouch so it can fit on any shoe!

Before you start a running programme, though, it's a good idea to make sure you can walk at a brisk pace for 30mins (ie, putting effort into it rather than strolling along). Brisk walking should make you breathe slightly more heavily than usual :D

GOOD LUCK!