New Guy, and my week 1 run 1 !

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
chriskaraokeman

New Guy, and my week 1 run 1 !

Post by chriskaraokeman »

Hi folks, Chris here, currently 15-6 but have been as bad as 17-6, back on a diet, and a friend who does half marathons after using this app introduced it to me. Woke up at 4.30 this morning, so no better time to try my first run. I managed it,despite having legs that are very painful after climbing a mountain on Monday, as I remarked to my wife, it would be the descent that hurt, and boy do those muscles hurt.
One thing I have found today, I will use over the ear headphones on Friday, my iphone buds are a nuisance !
Simongeorge

Re: New Guy, and my week 1 run 1 !

Post by Simongeorge »

Welcome to the madness! I'm glad it's not just me who gets earphone trouble, some others were laughing at my description of being slapped around the chin by rogue earbuds the other week, until I swapped to in ear ones.keep us posted on your progress.
michele97

Post by michele97 »

Ah, yes, the dreaded Iphone buds. Go buy yourself a pair of Skull Candy headphones. They have rubber tips that fit nicely into the ear and decent sound quality. OH, and if you're like me, you like the music LOUD when running, and these get the job done. Fairly inexpensive, they come in different price ranges. I have a $40 pair that I actually like better than the $100 Bose that my husband bought me.

Cheers!
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

Hi Chris
Welcome and you are in the right place! I just started week 3 today. I agree about the Skull Candy(I'm in the US, so I hope they sell them over there). They come with three sizes of soft rubberized buds and the work very well. I'm on my second pair. First pair lasted years. Make sure to read other posts after you run, it's very encouraging!!
Sheri
Ashboring

Post by Ashboring »

Hey Chris,

I too finished w1r1 today!! I was terrified to start, I am terribly inactive. We did it! Whoo. When I hit run 7 I started to doubt I could make it then I looked beside the treadmill and saw a picture of my 3 kids. I thought damn it I survived 50 or so hours of unmedicated child birth 2 more minutes of running will not kill me . I grinned through the rest with ease! I think we just have to focus on taking it 1 minute at a time! See you Friday!
Ashley
chriskaraokeman

Hi. thanks for the replies ! I am in the UK here, and the weather today is awful ! I am working early today, so going to do my run later, I don't care if it is raining, I will put my Iphone in a plastic bag, with Iron Maiden on very loud, and just get on with it :D
chriskaraokeman

Well I did my 2nd run of week one tonight, in the rain ! I would say that made it a little easier, but I was very aware of all the dog walkers watching me huff and puff along my route :D
Early mornings for me in future, that's for sure ! :lol:
bex17

Post by bex17 »

haha Im with you on that one. I go as late as poss so its dark and no one can see my sweaty pink puffy body attempt to jog haha. I cant wait till I can go running(who am I kidding) in daylight and proud! lol :lol:
craiggreen83

Post by craiggreen83 »

Hi,

I also have just completed W1R1 and am knackered but am glad I met with the female voice over expectations. Being from the UK I also had the refreshing rain pound me as I ran... I think I'm gonna prefer that though!

And is it just me but as there is that short interval of the change over of tracks on my iPhone but I can hear my own worrying loud panting, gasping for air as I run! What must the pass a bys think?

Well done all.
chriskaraokeman

:D I am a multimedia freak, I have a Canon D500 DSLR, a Sony PJ10E HD camcorder and a Sony Bloggie. Whenever we go walking I take my video camera, and quite often on playback it sounds like what obscene phone calls used to :D
I can't wait to capture some pictures to share on here, weather permitting. Im going running at 7.30 in the morning, so hope it will be dry !