shin splints

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
bex17

shin splints

Post by bex17 »

this is my first week back after having to take a short break and Im finding it really hard. Ive bought new trainers especially and am finding I get terrible shin splints and my knees are killing me. Ive started going to the gym again to help with my fitness levels but am a bit confused at how often I should do either the running or the gym and if I can do them both on the same day or wether I should alternate them so that I do a run one day then the gym the next? I want to start enjoying my runs but am finding it really hard....help lol, I would love to complete one run properly instead of falling short of the time given. Each run feels harder than the first is that normal?
Any imput would be very gratefully received :D
starknut

Re: shin splints

Post by starknut »

When I started, I got terrible shin splints as well. Rest on your rest days! No gym! And these stretches and things helped enormously and I recommend them to everyone who has shin splints: http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercise ... tExerc.htm
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Sounds as if you might be trying a little too hard, doing too much, too quickly, probably the best thing too do is alternate gym and running, and when in the gym, concentrate on upper body. Maybe even stop gym work until your into your stride with this program in a couple of weeks. Let your body guide you, yes it's going to be tough, you will ache, but it's still supposed to be fun! If it's too tough, ease off. Just my thoughts anyway
bex17

Post by bex17 »

thanks guys, will deff try those exercises and will rest on rest days. It is so hard to not try and do it every day or move it to a more convenient day :roll: but I shall def take your advice onboard thankyou :D