feeling a failure

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
dondon10

feeling a failure

Post by dondon10 »

have just started run 1 of week 2 and couldnt complete it......was doing the 3rd run of 6 and my calf suddenly started hurting and so then i had to limp home.....so feeling pretty down about it all.
i've just turned 40 and thought i would like to start running....i go 2 the gym about 4/5 times a week and i cant even finish a beginners run.
any help or tips would b most appreciated

Donna xxx :(
matt

Re: feeling a failure

Post by matt »

Hi Donna,

Don't beat yourself up if your calf gives way! There's nothing much you can do about that. Have you taken any medical advice? Maybe a doc or a physio could check things out for you.

Definitely don't struggle on through injury, as you'll just make things worse. Give yourself a break, wait until your calf feels better, and start from scratch, perhaps on a treadmill at the gym? Treadmills are a little easier, plus you don't have to limp too far if you have a problem. Then build up some confidence there until you feel properly ready to hit the road.

Anyone else got any advice? I've been lucky in that I've never had to deal with any calf problems, myself.

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
benjohn

Re: feeling a failure

Post by benjohn »

Hi Donno,

Matt's got good words there – don't beat yourself up about it, and let your injury heal.

As you're a gym member, I'd suggest that you have a chat to the trainers there, they're likely to be able to give you some good advice. A couple of thoughts – are you warming up well, and stretching, and have you got suitable shoes? Also – do a search on Google and see what it turns up.

Let us know how it goes!