Heat Wave

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jbutler

Heat Wave

Post by Jbutler »

Im slightly disappointed that it has become so hot out so quickly! We're in the middle of a heat wave here and I just don't feel that it is safe to run in such heat (especially since I'm not use to the heat).

I'm afraid this is going to push me back and I may have to repeat this week, but it's better than heat stroke. I attempted to get up early before this really heats up, but it's still quite warm. I suppose I could find a gym to go to, but I really prefer outdoor running.

Hope everyone's week is going well
hammeredk

Re: Heat Wave

Post by hammeredk »

Whewwww, the heat. We always enjoy nice 90-100% humidity and temps from 95-100+ F throughout the summers here. That almost had my mind shutdown on trying to run today.

Staying hydrated throughout the day, all day, surely does help at run time...I'm normally not a heavy drinker (water...not alcohol) so I've had to remind myself throughout the day to get those liquids in.

Today, I ran in a new area. Brilliant......no shaded areas to get out of the direct sun. I kept water on me and at various times during the run segments would take in a mouthful, slosh around and spit it out. I'm sure that looked particularly impressive to those driving by. :roll:

I didn't drink a ton during the running sessions, although the results could have made for an interesting new forum discussion. I think I drank 12 gallons afterward, though.

Best of luck pushing through the heat wave!! Just think of it as....an added training challenge. :twisted: