Found my confidence... moving on to W8.

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lauraeliza30

Found my confidence... moving on to W8.

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Just when I thought I would never get through my Week 7 runs, I finally made it through after 2.5 weeks! In trying to run week 7, i took my runs to the treadmill as it was way too hot. What I learned is that I can't run on the treadmill my brain just screams out in boredom. What I ended up doing is a run walk program with no rhyme or reason to it. However, what it did do was let me build up to a phenomenal week 7 run yesterday. I don't think the treadmill had anything to do with it, I think not giving up and just doing what I could played a part. I think I discovered part of my problem with week 7 was I was trying too hard to to cover more distance. What I discovered yesterday was when I just ran at a comfy pace the distance covered and pace increased all by itself.... basically it increased, in my opinion, of sticking with running in some form even if I veered off my week, built up stamina which will just continue to increase when I continue running even when done with the program. I am thrilled I finally moved past my wall... which simply put was me trying to go too fast to soon. I always tell people to slow their pace down, and there I was doing the one thing I would tell people not to do. Lesson learned!

I am going to try to run week 8 run 1 today. I know Im supposed to wait, but after today the heat is supposed to be brutal here in Denver and I would love to have 1 run done!
LindaC

Re: Found my confidence... moving on to W8.

Post by LindaC »

Congrats on pushing through! I love reading what people discover about themselves in moving past the barriers. I'm enjoying the fact that running really is more than just physical - so much stuff comes up and out as we move past what we always thought - or were told - that we could or couldn't do. I'm looking to run W7R3 on Saturday so right behind you. Good luck as you continue on!
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

I'm doing w7r2 tomorrow after a 2 week break between 6 and 7 due to illness. It was hard to run again, but not quite as hard as I'd expected, and a fantastic feeling when I'd crawled to the end. I think weve all proved here, you don't know what you can achieve until you try. The trick is to take this lesson from running and apply it to the rest of our lives, who knows what we can all achieve then.
Sorry was that a bit over the top ?
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

Don't forget you are running at high altitude, much harder! Great for you! I'm on week 4 and today was tough. I'm in Idaho and its hot but I'm still muddling through!
couchto5katy

Post by couchto5katy »

I have found that week 7 has been the toughest! I just finished w7r3, but now I just find myself getting bored with the runs. I actually miss the intervals! Keep up the good work!
http://www.couchto5katy.wordpress.com
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

It is Tuesday, and I haven't run since Thursday of last week. I'm really worried I'm not going to be running again anytime soon in the great outdoors. Our temps are in 100 plus and last night it was still 100 at 7:30. For Denver, that is just crazy. I know that I am going to the gym after work to get some kind of cardio BUT me and the treadmill totally hate each other and I know I won't run for 28 minutes straight. I might try some kind of rum program again as I did before. I wish this weather would break so I could get back to the outdoors... I am missing it. And I have no motivation to run in the morning when it is cooler. I wish I could make myself do it but I hit my alarm snooze one too many times as it is. Maybe I will make it a goal for tomorrow morning, I really don't want to get too far behind.