W5

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Bee

W5

Post by Bee »

I have not been doing any form of running since my teens. I am amazed at how this app has helped me. Starting week five and can notice how much stronger I feel when running. Running for a full eight minutes was such an achievement when only four weeks ago I struggled with thirty seconds. Really enjoying the challenge. :D
Redders

Re: W5

Post by Redders »

I am supposed to start w5 today but it is absolutely torrential downpours here. I have never seen rain like it and the forecast for the rest of the day is pretty much the same. May have to delay until tomorrow unless there is a break in it. Never thought I would be disappointed not to run!! I can already notice a huge difference in my fitness after only 4 weeks.
DebL66

Post by DebL66 »

I just did W5R1 yesterday in 90 degree heat. Ugh on the heat but I was so thrilled to complete the runs easily. Was tired, yes, but for the first time I felt like I was really running! Hard to believe only a few weeks ago I was struggling to get through 1.5 minute runs. The program really does work.

I have my doubts about the 20 minute run this week but I am going to give it my best shot. I think completing that run will be a major milestone for me. I find that my biggest running obstacle is mental, I am getting better at letting my mind relax and get into a zone...before I know it my run is complete!
Redders

Post by Redders »

Rain finally stopped and I have just ran w5r1 and covered 3.8km in 31 mins. Today is the first time I have really believed that in another few weeks I just may be able to run 5km in 30 mins. That said the thought of a 20 min straight run this week is a little daunting for me too as tho' I found the 5 min runs today ok I was glad of the walks in between! Let's see what run 2 of w5 brings and compare notes....
DebL66

Post by DebL66 »

Redders, that is great! I am going to try R2 tomorrow. The forecast is for rain though so I may have to wait until Monday. Will let you know how I do.
Ma.dennis

Post by Ma.dennis »

I agree with you all. I feel so much stronger than I did even 2 weeks ago. I had to take a weeks break due to swollen knees an temps in the low-mid 90s. I stopped after w5r2 but biked a little and walked (very little). I just ran the 20 minute challenge today, and, woo hoo....made it! The last 5 minutes took a little prayer but I made it through. You all can do this run!! Remember how easy 8 minutes seemed once you got through it? That's how the 20 minutes felt. Go for it, you can conquer the run!
DebL66

Post by DebL66 »

W5R2 is now behind me. Yet again, I was surprised to run the 8 min intervals relatively easily. Still a little dubious about running an entire 20 min non stop, but less so than before. Suddenly, it seems attainable. I felt so good running those 8 minutes...something I couldn't do just over a month ago. If run this 20 minutes the first time I try, I am rewarding myself with a nice glass of wine and a new running outfit. :-) How is everyone else doing?
Redders

Post by Redders »

Way to go DebL! We are at exactly the same stage as I just ran w5r2 tonight. Managed to complete it as well but covered slightly less ground than r1 as really had to slow my pace for the last 3 mins of the 2nd run. I have just realised that the route I took tonight tho was more uphill than usual so will have to plan as flat as possible for wednesday and 20 mins. I am both scared and excited at the same time about it. Think this will be the biggest test so far. Let's hope we can both do it! Good luck and let us know how your 20 goes. If i complete the 20, I will be joining you with that glass of wine! How is everybody elses week 5 going?