Cheated a little......

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
escocia38

Cheated a little......

Post by escocia38 »

Run 3 Week 1 was due tomorrow but as my little boy is with me all weekend I did the run today - although Run 2 was only yesterday. Wasn't as easy as yesterday but still no problems.

My problem with running has always been Physiological - I kind of look to a point in front of me and get exhausted before I get there.

Music helps me not think about those last 10 to 30 seconds, or if I can think of something else other than the run the I have no problem and make it to the end of the run.

Anyone else the same?
Simongeorge

Re: Cheated a little......

Post by Simongeorge »

I have to run to music too, when I start to flag I just think, 'get to the end of the song, then I'll be ok' and it usually pulls me through, or I run in a slightly unfamiliar area so that I'm looking around me to see the scenery and it distracts me.
It's all just a mind game
ssdguy

Post by ssdguy »

Both my bosses are avid runners. They've said that running log distance is all in your head. Of course you have to do some training but in the end, its a mind game.

I listen to music as well to keep myself distracted. I also start day dreaming and think about work, life, and the time just flies by. I've been told to keep your head up and don't look at your feet. I tend to look down and force my self to look up.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

It is such a mind game! I do the music thing too.... I always bargain with my running by saying by the time this song ends i will be done, or another 5 minutes will be up, etc. I also don't do well if I am running a route I have always run. I don't like knowing how much further I have to go distance wise if that makes any sense. I have to make random turns down streets, etc. I am always in my neighborhood but I never quite know how its going to go. Sometimes I take streets with hills and at other parts I avoid the hills like the plague. It is all just mind tricks I have to play to get me to the end! Also when she says turn around I never turn around, as I don't want to go the same way I came from because I know I have to finish it and it seems so long! I always end up at home at about the right time amazingly enough!
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

Such good advise from everyone! I love this forum! I am not totally sure it's a mind game for me.. It's more like a foot, ankle, knee, breathing kind of thing! Lol! I don't like to run the same route but I tend to. My house is on a hill. If I turn right its down hill to start but up to finish. If I turn left its pretty even- so I turn left a lot!
Sheri
escocia38

Post by escocia38 »

Thanks guys,
I started week 2 this morning and with the extra 30 seconds I really noticed the mind games playing up!
Saying that, I have had a lousy two days so maybe tomorrow night's run will be better :)