Great Reasons to Get Running

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
benjohn

Great Reasons to Get Running

Post by benjohn »

For me: weight loss; better energy; helping me relax; getting outside; and because I like being able to, are all reasons that I run.

Here's another fantastic reason. According to researchers at Stanford, running slows down ageing (quite dramatically) and can extend your active life by 16 years! Here's a link to the release:

http://med.stanford.edu/news_releases/2 ... nning.html

Any more great reasons? Add them in a reply!

[I found this link in the blog of the guy behind "Runmeter", which is an application similar to Run Keeper – http://www.abvio.com/2009/03/08/live-longer/]
Dawn

Re: Great Reasons to Get Running

Post by Dawn »

Like you really...lose weight...but more than that just get fit really. Also - last year I took my dogs to the vet and we were told they had put on 2K in one year!! That was a real shock as we take them on long walks everyday...we only feed them really good dog food and don't over do ir.... so we both needed more effective exercise it seems !! ;)

So, I saw Canix on TV....it looks like great fun. But, I thought before I start to think about that I need to learn how to run. http://cani-cross.co.uk/index.shtml (I hope it's ok to post a link.)

I love being outside and I really love the woods and countryside so here I am. It's really good to hear the stories of others and even better that some of them are people like me who have a history of hatred when it comes to running.... :)

Dawn
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Fascinating link Dawn, thanks very much for posting it. It's exactly the kind of thing these forums are for. If you fancy, start a specific thread for people who run with their dogs – I hope a few others will join you :-)
jspiro

Post by jspiro »

I'm coming from another angle.

I want to look toned. I've always had large calves regardless of fitness level, and running is actually slimming them down -- it's dramatically motivating. I could stand to lose some weight, but I see regular exercise and diet as the way to achieve /that/.

And as I said in another post... it's supposed to make you a better climber ;-)
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

OOo that is great, if it were to get my calf muscles in check a bit!!! :)
Molly

Post by Molly »

I'm 25 and a smoker for almost 10. I'm only just starting on week 2 but smoking less! I sware I was getting a wrinkle too but it seems to magically vanish after my run! Plus I LOVE the feeling I have lately. So much more energy; I'm totally addicted!
reelon

Post by reelon »

Losing some extra pounds (ok, a lot of extra pounds :lol: ), but with two weeks behind me I like the feel of the fresh air in my face and the bonding with my dog!
ReikiNurse

Post by ReikiNurse »

I just finished week 2 run 2 and brought my slightly overweight Toy Poodle with me for the first time. Needless to say, but I had to stop the app halfway through to deposit him back home! :( He'll get the hang after a few more times :) I, on the other hand, feel great! The weather here is okay for running, but I look forward to going back to New England, where it's much less sticky and hot. (I'm in Florida, at the moment) I'm loving this app, though! I have recently released 100 lbs. and this app is taking me to my goal!!! :D