Losing weight

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Sooh2010

Losing weight

Post by Sooh2010 »

Hi,
Having just read the introductions thread, I am interested to know if people have lost weight by running alone. I am about 20 lbs over weight...but if I can lose anything I'll be happy but I do love my food! :oops:

I have just completed week 2, run 2 and have stuck with my normal once a week gym session....so am now exercising four times a week :o

What do you think...is it likely to drop off now??!! (I'm 38)

Sue
benjohn

Re: Losing weight

Post by benjohn »

I hope others will join in and help out here…

Running will definitely increase your calorie use, so it should reduce your weight. For a lot of people, it also motivates them to look at what they're eating and think about their overall fitness.

;-) Just be careful not to come back from a good run and treat yourself to an energy drink or something, as you can easily put the calories back in!

Well done getting going! That's a brilliant starting step.

All the best,
Benjohn
violabird

Post by violabird »

Hi Sue,

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm rather hoping the same - I'm not massive but could stand to lose a stone or two! I too enjoy my food, and actually I eat a pretty healthy diet; cooking everything from scratch etc and have always just assumed that I'm carrying a bit of extra weight because apart from walking everywhere I've not done any serious exercise since I was a teenager (I'm now 28).

From what I've read elsewhere, if you are going to lose weight from running it won't happen straight away - you might even put on weight to start with as muscle is heavier than fat. I think that weight loss comes as you run longer distances.

Either way, all this running can't be a bad thing! I'm just about to start week 3 tomorrow, fingers crossed my figure improves at least with all this effort! Hope all goes well for you, I'd be interested to hear how it's going, as we're around the same stage in the program. Good Luck!

Grace
violabird

Post by violabird »

Incidentally, I must add that I seem to be constantly hungry since I started running, especially on running days (I run early in the morning) which probably won't help me lose weight! I've banned myself from buying any sweets/chocolate/crisps etc so as not to be tempted but still think I'm eating more than before!

Does anyone else find this and do you have any tips for beating the hunger on running days?!
LoeRennt

Post by LoeRennt »

Hi violabird, same thing here! :lol: And I do have tips, but I am not exactly following them myself LOL One thing that does help me, if I bother to stick to it, is to just not have too much in the house to snack on.
I also find that on running days I do snack more, but I don't feel like big heavy meals. So I try to keep the snacks healthy-ish and have light meals. That might balance out some of the snacking too LOL At least in my mind! :lol:

Then again - I haven't lost any weight yet, but I do feel sooo much more fit and people have told me that I look like I've lost weight.
My main goal was to get fitter and I am just taking it one step at the time right now and I'll deal with the extra weight later. I don't want to try to chew off more than I can bite this time. Fit first, thin later! :lol:
Sooh2010

Post by Sooh2010 »

benjohn wrote:
;-) Just be careful not to come back from a good run and treat yourself to an energy drink or something, as you can easily put the calories back in!

Are you spying on me? :lol: That's exactly what I'm trying not to do, but it is my mentality!
Sooh2010

Post by Sooh2010 »

Grace - yes,keep in touch - I'll look out to hear how you are getting on as you are a couple of runs ahead of me - it's nice to see someone else at the same stage.
shytalkz

Post by shytalkz »

I've just completed C25k right the way through and lost....one pound! And a lens from my reading glasses, which were on my head and forgotten about on one run! :roll:
NervousNewbie

Post by NervousNewbie »

I don't really know about weight but when I started treadmill running at the gym a few years ago I noticed a massive difference in the way my waist and hips lookked - waist was the first thing. If it doesn't cause a dramatic weight loss I believe it can change the overall shape. :)

I hope so!
Sooh2010

Post by Sooh2010 »

shytalkz wrote:I've just completed C25k right the way through and lost....one pound! And a lens from my reading glasses, which were on my head and forgotten about on one run! :roll:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: