W5 R3 - 20 mins

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Redders

W5 R3 - 20 mins

Post by Redders »

I did it! I actually did it and ran 20 mins straight without stopping. Honestly I can't stop talking about it, you'd think I'd just won an Olympic gold medal or something!! Still it's a big achievement for me as 5 weeks ago I could just about run a minute. Now today I ran 20 and in the 30 mins slot I covered 3.99 km so in another few weeks 5km in 30 mins now seems possible. This programme is really motivational!!
Lauraeliza30

Re: W5 R3 - 20 mins

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Ha.... you think you talk about it now! I am at Week 8 and every time I complete a run i talk about it as if I had just done it for the first time. It still continues to amaze me! Congrats to you. It is a huge accomplishment and should be celebrated!
Redders

Post by Redders »

I'm glad it's not just me then! Running is fast becoming my main topic of conversation. Wow week 8 still seems a long way off. You're doing really well, are you going to tell me each run gets a little easier or do you still find some runs tough? Keep going and good luck. Week 9 will soon be here for you!
starknut

Post by starknut »

Congrats! The big 20 minute run is a huge hurdle, mentally and physically. You've definitely earned the right to boast a bit!
DebL66

Post by DebL66 »

Yay Redders! Me too! You and I are virtual training buddies. :-)

I have to admit, I had my doubts that I could do this today. I didn't sleep well last night, was really busy at work, rushed home, inhaled a cup of yogurt,and ran out my door. Not optimal run prep! I told myself I would give it a try and if I failed, I would just try again. But I did it and I feel so...empowered. I am so impressed with how well the program works. 5 weeks ago I couldn't run to my mailbox.

I was glad when I had one minute left to run but you know, I think if instead it had said "you have 5 minutes to go" I would have pushed and ran another 5 min. For me there is a huge psychological factor and if it wasn't for the periodic prompts that allow me to mentally pace myself, I think I would quit running the moment I became the slightest bit uncomfortable.

I am so psyched right now. I am going to have a celebratory glass of wine and when I do, I will toast Redders for making the 20 min run too.
LindaC

Post by LindaC »

Congratulations!! It IS a huge hurtle - both mentally and physically. Celebrate your accomplishment and talk all you like about it - we totally understand - and are cheering you on!
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I wont tell you it gets easier but that it becomes a different kind of diificult! Its difficult in a good in a good way; its hard to explain but you will understand soon enough!
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

Great job! My week 5 run 2 is next so I'm really excited now! You have just run a mini marathon!!! Go you!
Courtney24107

Post by Courtney24107 »

Awesome job! I have that run coming up this Thursday and I'm super nervous about it :D haha I'm the same as you, everytime I finish a run, I talk about it sooo much :p
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

That's the advantage of this forum, we all want to hear about every step, every breath and every thought of every run, to compare with our own experiences, we feel eachothers pains and triumphs. Friends, colleagues and families just can't take the same interest and understand in the same way as we can here.