Just downloaded app - now just need to start!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
NervousNewbie

Just downloaded app - now just need to start!

Post by NervousNewbie »

Hi everyone,

I'm so completly new! I just got the iphone app and hope to start running soon. I live in very rural countryside so the summer evenings are perfect.

I'm 29 and did used to run a bit on a treadmill at the gym before falling pregnant and having our beautiful daughter in October 08. She will be 2 this October and I can no longer use that as an excuse and need to start getting fitter and back in shape. Running on the treadmill really quickly helped me to lose weight in summer 08 and I'm hoping I can acheive good results again.

Are there other mums of toddlers here? How do you find time? My partner has said he'd happily look after her when he gets home so I can go out but at that time of day I feel I should be at home doing dinner etc so I guess I'll have to be an early bird - not sure if I can cope with that though! Other than that, I have two days a week Mon and Tues where I work from home and my daughter is with family. I will use one of those days. :)

It's a bit nervewracking to be seen out and about! There aren't any other runners in my (teeny tiny) village, not that I ever see anyway.

Anyway nice to be here.

Vicki
NervousNewbie

Re: Just downloaded app - now just need to start!

Post by NervousNewbie »

Ok, I have sat here tapping away at my computer and decided that it's a nice overcast day not too hot, so I'm going to have a go at the first session today! I can finish whenever I want to (one perk to being self employed) so will finish a bit earlier and try it.
pollyester

Post by pollyester »

I don't have toddlers, but I do have young children. I get up earlier than every one so I can get my run in. I like to do it in the morning because then it isn't so hot.

Good luck!

Polly
NervousNewbie

Post by NervousNewbie »

Hmm I think it's what I may have to do. I worry that me getting up/ready will wake my other half and daughter up! That would not go down well! My lo wakes at around 7 so I could get up at 6 that wouldn't be too bad.

Well I did my first run! :) Can't really call it a run though as it's mainly walking. At first, I thought the lady sounded lovely and had a kind voice. By the end I thought she sounded evil!!

Still the app worked really really well. I was surprised at the area I covered in that time, I could almost get to my next village if I didn't turn back half way. I found it very hard. Hoping it will be a bit easier on Wednesday? (looking for agreement from people...)
Sooh2010

Post by Sooh2010 »

Hi Vicki,
I have a 7 year old and a 4 year old and am having trouble fitting it in too! I have run at a different time each day so far I think (I have done week 2, run 2). If you can manage to get up early I imagine that would be ideal and it's cooler and you have have a shower and get dressed when you get home so you don't need to shower twice in one day! Personally I just can't do early mornings though so don't think that's for me - I did go out 'first thing' on Sunday....but that was 9ish so not early.

My sons are at school and pre-school so I have two afternoons that I am work and child free, so can do one or two then.

Like you, I was surprised how much ground I covered. My first 'run', I kept close to home and ran up and down a quiet road so as not to been seen but then I decided to go for it and go further now.
Sealrunner

Post by Sealrunner »

Hi there! I have a three year old and a ten week old. I am in week 5. I start back to work tomorrow, so that will be the real test! I live in Texas and the summer heat makes it hard, but I have managed. The way I encourage myself is to remind myself that it's only about thirty minutes three times a week...certainly I can manage 1.5 hours per week! That sounds managable to me. Good luck with your running! I find that I feel better about myself and that makes me a better mom! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
NervousNewbie

Post by NervousNewbie »

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. I'm not sure about the early starts, I used to get to the gym before work so I know I can do it, but I'm not sure if the rest of the house would wake up which could be a problem.

I'll have to see - I'm determined to do this but have that nagging 'I bet I wont bother' feeling in the back of my head. I'm off for a bounce of this mini trampoline thing my other half was given yesterday!
NervousNewbie

Post by NervousNewbie »

Oh my God! I just checked my route on http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and found out I actually did just over 2 miles yesterday! Wow. I know that's probably not great for someone who was out for half an hour but to me it's shocking! I wonder how far I'll get in 5-6 weeks?
violabird

Post by violabird »

Hi,

I have a 2 year old and run early in the morning before anyone else gets up. I thought that I'd find it really hard as I'm not a morning person at all, but I'm totally shocked that I absolutely love it, and can't wait for run days!!

I can't imagine running at any other time of day, I'm not sure I'd have the energy after a busy day running after my son (plus other children as I've just started childminding), and I find that on running days I actually have loads more energy so it's a great start to the day.

I've just finished week 3 and am very impressed with myself for managing to get up for every run! I'd advise you to try a week of early mornings to see if it works for you - you might well be very suprised!

Good luck!

Grace