Week 3, Run 1 Failed!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
escocia38

Week 3, Run 1 Failed!

Post by escocia38 »

Felt really tired during the first 1.5 min run and then during the 3 min run..... as soon as she said I was half way through then that was it! Chest hurting, out of breath and energy and could't go on any further and had to walk back to the car.

Disappointed as have managed OK for all the runs until now. Think it was a real mind game thing which I have always had problems with, and why I have never run since college (am 47 now and in reasonable condition).

I did do a few runs on the way back to the car, and even went past the car. I ran fine for a while without my iPhone.

Guess I'll try again in a couple of days.

Anyone have any suggestions for high energy food to help?
Carlos_wsop

Re: Week 3, Run 1 Failed!

Post by Carlos_wsop »

Hi I understand where your coming from and must say its not unusual to feel like this , when I set off for a long run day say 8 - 12 miles I sometimes feel like stopping way before a mile has even gone but once I get through that before in know it my session is done , as you say it is a mind game sometimes . As for food I eat porridge , banana and a sports drink 2hrs before I go out , if I'm in a rush i will have a couple of energy gels prob 15 mins before , you could also try a bagel with peanut butter or nutella spread , also take a few jelly babies out with you or have a sports drink with you this will give you a sugar/carb boost for energy (nice as well while on a run) , nutrition is vital to perform at your best and I suggest to do some research and see what works best for you
Good luck and hope this helps
Carl
bex17

Post by bex17 »

I tend to just have a banana an hr before I go as anything else is too heavy and it makes me feel bloated and sick. Im just the same when that voice cuts in half way through, it puts me right off. Id rather it only kick in when theres 10 secs left of the run. When she says youve done half I think NOOOOOO Im sure Ive done much longer lol
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

Don't worry about today. You didn't fail- you got out there! I don't think there are many of us here who have just excelled at each run. So don't beat yourself up about it. As far as food, I have no advise, but I do chew gum on my runs. It wets my mouth and likely has some sugar in it to help along the way! Keep running!