Starting 2nd day with sore muscles?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
NervousNewbie

Starting 2nd day with sore muscles?

Post by NervousNewbie »

Hi,

Apologies first of all, I am posting left right and centre today. I need to ask whether it's ok to run with sore legs? I did the first run/walk yesterday and am set to do the next one tomorrow. My legs are sore today whenever I walk around or do anything. Should I just take an ibuprofen and get on with it? I don't want to miss tomorrow.

Thanks,

Vicki
benjohn

Re: Starting 2nd day with sore muscles?

Post by benjohn »

Don't run on a pain killer.

If you're still really sore tomorrow, then just take a good long walk instead, and run when you're feeling better.

When you run again, make sure you take a good time to stretch when you've finished your cool down. Hold each stretch on each side for 20-30 seconds. That's quite a long time!

I just read your blog. Sounds like a lovely place to be running in! Don't try, just get on and do it :-)

Happy running,
Benjohn
violabird

Re: Starting 2nd day with sore muscles?

Post by violabird »

Hello,

I can't recommend stretching enough! When I did the first run I didn't stretch and boy did I ache! The next day I could hardly walk down the stairs I was so sore, and in every muscle in my body it seemed! Anyway I looked at these forums to see if anyone else had encountered this and decided to take the advice to try stretching after my second run.

I've just completed week 3 and haven't ached at all since that first run, and I believe it's completely down to stretching well after the run. I've also noticed that the longer I walk after the run the better I feel - I'm not convinced 5 minutes is quite enough time for me, so I turn back a bit further into the run than the half way point and this gives me a longer warm down walk which helps.

Good luck!

Grace