Pain in my left calf muscle

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Eros58

Pain in my left calf muscle

Post by Eros58 »

Hi all, I've just started running after quite a few years without much exercise. The first two days were fine, I was starting to look forward getting a little fitter, then near the end of day three I got a pain in my calf. It came on suddenly and I had to slow down and start walking. The pain lasted for a couple of days but on the morning of my next run I felt ok so I started, then half way through the first running period the same thing happened again. Has anyone had an experience like? If so do you have any thoughts on what might be causing it. :|
Carlos_wsop

Re: Pain in my left calf muscle

Post by Carlos_wsop »

If you are stretching after each run I would say you aren't doing it enough , especially in the early weeks of the programme I would say you need to be doing a good 15 - 20 mins of good stretches . If not you may need to look at your trainers , get your running gait checked at a proper running shop another tip is make sure your well hydrated before and after running ,

Hope this helps
Carl
Catherine31350

Post by Catherine31350 »

When I stretch I use a rope as I have found it really helps to stretch the calf muscles properly. Have a look on YouTube or google for AIS stretching (active isolated stretching) as there are lots of benefits and this might help you stretch your calf muscles properly. Hope this helps. Good luck with your running.
Eros58

Post by Eros58 »

Thank you for your replies, I think you are right on both accounts.

Cheers
Clive