Proper running shoes - get them!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Rhiannon

Proper running shoes - get them!

Post by Rhiannon »

Hey all -

Well, my foot has finally healed, but it's taken 6 very long weeks that I haven't been able to run (and for the first 4 weeks, found it difficult walking on it even). I now have proper running shoes, as advised (and supplied!) by those fine people at Sweatshop, who told me that although I'm neutral in gait, my left foot needed a bit more support for my ankles - and hence why I got the injury in the first place (Tibialis Posterior tendon damage), thanks to trying to run in very old non-supported Reeboks!

Anyway, the point of this post is simply to encourage anyone who's just starting out to get decent running shoes from the very start. I didn't, purely because I thought I'd see how committed I would be to doing this 'running lark' before paying out for a new pair of running shoes, but given that I managed to damage my foot after just the first run of week 2, I wish I'd just shelled out for them right from the start. You might feel a bit daft running on a treadmill in the shop, if you go to get your gait checked out, but you know what, they've seen it all before, and no-one laughs (not even my other half :) ). It's definitely worth it to save on injuries right from the start!

Just my tuppence worth .. :)
zozobythesea

Re: Proper running shoes - get them!

Post by zozobythesea »

I second that. Got fitted for and bought running shoes recently after a bout of knee pain. Had a week off to let the knees rest, and started up again with the new shoes. I can really notice the difference - no knee problems and even the rest seemed to do me some good because as soon as I started back I was running better and quicker and with more ease than before I had the week off. Am nearly at the end of week 4 now. If you're umming and aahing over running shoes I'd say go for it. Plus shelling out for a pair is added incentive to run - just to get your money's worth! :-)