I think I became a runner today!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Simongeorge

I think I became a runner today!

Post by Simongeorge »

Week 8 run2 today. I forced myself to get out and run today, the first few minutes were very tough and I wanted to stop but I forced myself to continue. About half way through I had an almost religious moment, my breathing became much easier, and my legs became re-energized and I was able to let my mind wander, not just concentrate on the next footstep. I'm not saying it became easy, just easier. My pace is still woeful but I can build on that, I'm just concentrating on getting through and running for 30 minutes first, but now for the first time, I know u can do it and more Importantly, enjoy doing it!
bex17

Re: I think I became a runner today!

Post by bex17 »

thats fantastic, its such a lovely feeling when something just clicks into place especially when its been tough going at some points.
No matter how big or small its such a sense of acheivement.
Well done you and I cant wait to reach where you are in the programme :D
Jbutler

Post by Jbutler »

That's fantastic! I too feel like I have just become a "runner". Technically I'm on week 9 of the program, but in my efforts to prepare for a 5k race/obstacle course I've been pushing myself beyond the program (I started this extra work last week during week 8).

Four days ago when I was suppose to do a 28 min run, I decided I wanted to train more for my 5k because I was only doing approx 2 miles and a 5k is 3.11. I ended up setting up Nike+ to run a 5k instead of focusing on time. Needless to say I was super excited to complete a 5k in 38:59. Today I again went out with the goal of running a 5k (same course) and did it in 38:05. It still amazes me that I've run 2 5ks in the last week which definitely makes me a runner!

I now look at the two runs I have left to do this week in order to officially finish the program and I think "no problem". By no means is it easy, but I have the confidence I need to be able to finish them!
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

That's brilliant. Well done, I'm going to 'graduate' next week, then, the local 5k starts near my work, so I'm going to run the course to see what time I can do it in.
starknut

Post by starknut »

Well done! I had a moment like that several weeks ago. Usually I run for about 40 minutes, but on this particular day, I just hit the zone. I felt great, breathing was easy, no cramps... I ended up running for an hour! Was not feeling great the next day, however!
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I LOVED reading this this morning! I know how you have struggled with different things throughout this and I am super proud of you for pushing through. There is some kind of event that happens at some point in week 7 through week 9 where you actually feel like you are a legit runner. At some points I feel like such a beginner but on other days I feel like a true runner. I need to start finding more time to fit more runs in during the week because I am still slacking in that area. I look forward to today's 30 minute run and hopefully being able to cover just a little more distance.
stacey27

Post by stacey27 »

Well done!

I've heard lots of people mention the 'religious moment' that you do and can only hope that that comes to me one day. It is still an 'effort' to put one foot in front of the other whilst running so really hoping I can get to that stage!

Congratulations again :D
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Wk8 r3 done! I actually quite enjoyed it. It wasn't easy, there several times I wanted to stop, but I kept going and it felt good. I wasnt particularly fast, and I was really glad when the28 minutes were up, but i finished and that's all that matters to me right now. Now on to my final week! I can't believe it.