Drinking when running

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
StaceyDanielle

Drinking when running

Post by StaceyDanielle »

First off, im new here so sorry if this has been posted before. :)

I know your supposed to drink while running to keep yourself hydrated but is there any rules so to speak, because if i sip water while jogging i get a stitch? (im drinking plain water, nothing fizzy). I also feel as though i can feel the water inside me jiggling around, which is off putting, and i normally just leave the water out altogether and just drink at the end of the run, but then feel worse for wear because of it.

Any tips?

Thanks for your help
Archer73

Re: Drinking when running

Post by Archer73 »

I take a bottle of water with me but find myself swallowing a little drop here and there but generally I tend to swill it in my mouth to hydrate that then spit it out.
I've only just started week 3 so I'm not the most experienced person to give advice but it's worth giving it a go.
hammeredk

Post by hammeredk »

Add me to the sip and spit camp also. I hydrate (or try to) throughout the day before/off days, and then hydrate well up to about an hour before the run, then not so much 15 minutes before the run. Throughout the run (the walk/run sequences), I mostly sip in a mouthful of water, slosh it around, and then spit it out...sometimes taking in just a little bit. If I drink much, I get stiches as well. So far, the above process has worked for me, although, I also am only on week 3.

I obviously run outside. Sip and spit on a treadmill in the gym isn't a great idea. Also watch out sipping and spitting on a small track, even outside, as you don't want to spit on someone you're passing or who might be passing you. That might not be too great, either.

My runs have been in 95-103 degree F temps, direct sun, so hydration is key here. I chug down my liquids when I finish the run, though, like some kind of monster.
bex17

Post by bex17 »

I also just swill the water round my mouth then spit it out because otherwise I found I was getting that really bloated painful feeling before I d even got half way round a run and would have to stop.
I try not to put too much water in the bottle either as it feels too heavy when running.