Finished Week 5 Run 3 and feeling...despondent

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
pinkglow

Finished Week 5 Run 3 and feeling...despondent

Post by pinkglow »

So it seems like week 5 run 3 is the really big milestone, that everyone is initially terrified of, and then ecstatic at finishing.

I was dreading it, and managed to complete it, but to my surprise I’m just really despondent and worried about what comes next.

I think there is an assumption that if you completed it, you’ve done really well, whereas I was struggling and running at a snail’s pace for the last eight minutes or so. I’m definitely not feeling ready to keep on training upwards.
Does anyone have any advice for me on moving on to the next few weeks?

Has anyone else felt like this?

Thank you!
michele97

Re: Finished Week 5 Run 3 and feeling...despondent

Post by michele97 »

HI! I understand. I struggled through the 20 minute run as well. In fact, on my first try, I only completed 18 minutes. And I completely them rather slowly. But then I realized, that just a few weeks ago, I struggled with running 3 minutes.

Look at how far you've come!!!!!

20 minutes of running is awesome. Instead of worrying about what's next, take a few minutes to enjoy your accomplishment. The next run is easier, it's back to intervals. Just remember this: "No matter how slow you are, you' re still lapping all the people sitting on the couch".

Cheers!
Michele
pinkglow

Post by pinkglow »

Thank you  You’re very encouraging!
I did the next one today and felt much, much better about it. It was very nice being back to intervals (can I use them all the time?! :P) and I guess everything less than 20 minutes will now feel easier in comparison.
Chrissyteacup

Post by Chrissyteacup »

Nowt wrong with being slow, speed will come with time ( I guess). just be proud you did it at all :D
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

I was thrilled to get through my 20 minute run. In my head I'm running at Olympic speeds, truly I'm slogging along! I think we all have fantastic runs and days where we barely manage. Mind the heat, I've found the cooler it is the easier it is to run. You are a success simply by doing the runs at all! Keep running!!!!
Sheri