Beginner

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Takethemotorway

Beginner

Post by Takethemotorway »

I've been inspired by a friend who only started running a year or so ago and is now doing really well in the Reading Park Run and says that regular running has changed her life. I've always liked the idea of running but have felt that I was one of those who gets really puffed out very quickly and physically can't run! Anyway I went out early this morning, got home at 7.30 after completing Week 1 Run 1. I did so much better than I was expecting (ie I managed all 8 of the runs) and was quite surprised when I measured the route on google maps to see that in 28 1/2 minutes I did just short of 3K. Amazing!
Simongeorge

Re: Beginner

Post by Simongeorge »

Well done sounds like you made a great start I hope it continues for you.
pinkglow

Post by pinkglow »

That's great, well done.
I'm on week 7 and can only encourage you to keep going, even when/if you feel like quitting. The first couple of weeks I wanted to go out every day, then I hit a harder patch in the middle, but now I'm back to loving it.
As someone who isn't very fit and doesn't do much exercise, I was worried about the puffing and panting as well, and for the first few weeks I found breathing difficult and my chest would hurt by the end of a run. Now, though, I'm absolutely fine and the only things which hurt are my legs, so I can assure you that just a few weeks of this drastically improves your fitness levels :)
Takethemotorway

Post by Takethemotorway »

Thanks to you both for the encouragement. I've just completed Week 1 Run 3 and I must say I am feeling a bit apprehensive about starting Week 2 and running for 90 seconds at a time. Hving said that, 90 seconds seems achievable whereas 3 minutes is truly daunting!! It's been really good to read of other people's experiences and to see how far they have progressed.
TTGirl1960

Post by TTGirl1960 »

Well done on completing week 1. I'm going to do my last run of week 4 today - when I started I couldn't even do 45 seconds! BUT the programme moves you forward each week in such a way that you are ready to move on. I wouldn't have believed I could run for 5 minutes but I am doing it. Just keep following the programme - good luck with week2 :D