What do you do on your rest day?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Dawn

What do you do on your rest day?

Post by Dawn »

So, as you know I only started yesterday and I really wanted to go today! But...as I said - I am sticking to the program :) ...but is it important to do some sort of cardio of your rest day or should you rest proper. Is the rest more for the muscles? I have dogs - so I walk everyday anyway, but we take that at varying pace really.

Thanks

Dawn
benjohn

Re: What do you do on your rest day?

Post by benjohn »

Heh – basically don't run, but if you want to, you can go ahead with some other form of exercise.

What did I do on my days off – hmmm – possibly strolled to the cafe sometimes :-)

If you use the gym, or do a class like pop-mo, or want to have a swim, then that's all fine. Going for a good walk ought to be fine too. Just avoid running, really (but a quick dash or two after an enthusiastic dog will be fine, don't worry).
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

I intend to do strength training, abdominals, etc. Whatever can help me lose weight. Currently though I just rest. Let my legs recuperate.
helenmac

Post by helenmac »

Hi,

I do kettlebell trainining on my days off running and sometimes I do it straight after a run. It's great for all over body strengthening and toning. Good for core muscles too and good fat burning exercises.

Helen
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Kettlebell - didn't know of it - looked it up - do you do a class or on your own?
helenmac

Post by helenmac »

Hi Dawn,

I bought an 8kg kettlebell from ebay and looked up some apps on my ipod with video instructions. I started doing it like that but then I recently bought a DVD by someone called Lauren Brooks from on the edge fitness and that is really good as it has a 40 min workout and a short 12 min workout for the days you don't want to do the full one.

This is my regime at the moment:

Mon - warm up then 40 min kettlebell
Tues - same as above
Wed - run then 12 min kettlebell
Thurs - warm up then 12 min kettlebell
Friday - run then 12 min kettlebell
sat - day off
Sun - run

Hope this helps
helen
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi Helen,

Thanks for that - i will give it a look :) I have to say though, I just discovered one of those all night gyms is opening here in Brighton - so I think I am going to sign back up to a gym. I love the gym, i used to go all the time - only got out of it because i got into Kickboxing.

I have a shoulder injury at the mo, broke it just before Christmas and still weak - but i will defo look up the video you have suggested.

Thanks

Dawn
SuzyFu

Post by SuzyFu »

I do some yoga or light stretching, on some days I do just rest.