humbled!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
starknut

humbled!

Post by starknut »

Several weeks ago, I said I was going to restart C25k and then I very quietly changed my mind and simply kept plodding along. Once I got used to my new shoes, everything felt great.

But I really am restarting the program. My husband is terribly unmotivated, and doesn't want to run with me because I am slow, so I am redoing C25k while simply running faster (6 mph on the treadmill). I did w1r1 today and stand before you humbled. That was so difficult! These next nine weeks are going to be rough! But the goal will be so worth it: to run with my husband. On a cruise ship. If I don't repeat any weeks, I'll be finished the program in time for our big pre-move vacation to the Bahamas.

Wish me luck, and wish me no further injury!
bex17

Re: humbled!

Post by bex17 »

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do just fine ;)
starknut

Post by starknut »

Finished week 2, and am very pleased with my improvement already. I've got shin splints again (lovely), my plantar fasciitis has been aggravated (wonderful), but I'm doing my stretches like a good girl and things are holding steady. "No worse, no problem!" is my new motto. :lol: I felt so good after today's run that after the cool down, I kicked the treadmill back up to 5 for a quarter of a mile. Hopefully that little high will carry me into week 3 and get me through.
starknut

Post by starknut »

After struggling so badly in week 3, I wasn't sure if I was ready to move on, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to TRY. And I did it! I had to drop from 6 mph to 5 about halfway through the five minute runs, but I did it. I didn't expect it to be this hard! I feel like I'm doing C25k for the very first time!
starknut

Post by starknut »

Huge flare up in shin splints, had to quit halfway through w4r2 today. The pain kept getting worse when normally it goes away after the first few minutes of running. I'm not dense enough to ignore the message my body is sending, so I'm probably going to sit the rest of the week out and restart week 4 on Wednesday. :(

And I just realized how weird it must seem to start my running weeks on a Wednesday. :lol:
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

I start my run week on weird weekdays too! I'd rather run Friday, Sunday and Tuesday so I don't need to worry about it while working through the week. I've struggled with shin splints and plantar facitis as well. I tend to run through the splints and I am very careful with my feet! I stretch all the time. When I work, I try to stretch my feet and shins and always before I get out of bet I stretch my feet. Good luck! I finished week 9 about three weeks ago but I just keep repeating it! It is the greatest feeling in the world to accomplish this! I'm 49 and I've never been a runner before. But I am now and you will be too!!
Sheri
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

I'll start week 4 on Tuesday, good to know that I'm not the only one on here on week 4!
week 3 run 3 was extremely heavy due to extreme heat, but it should be cooling down over the next few days and I hope that we'll help me with the run.
It's probably a good idea to rest a couple of days if you have so much pain! Did you check if your shoes fit well for the way you are running? I understood that (amongst many other things) using the right shoes can help prevent shin splits!
starknut

Post by starknut »

Thank you for the encouragement, it really helped spur me on today. I realized that I won't be able to run tomorrow as I have a doctor's appointment (well, I could, but it gets too darn hot after the sun is out). So this morning I woke up with a headache and a stomach that felt more than a little iffy, and I thought "come on, woman, it's now or never" and strapped on my shoes and threw myself into w4r1. My shins felt good, not great, but not like my last run. My legs were like lead, though, and I struggled with that more than my breathing. And then in the last half of my final run, I got a huge cramp in my shin. I didn't even know the human body had enough muscle in the shins to cramp up! What the heck?! :lol: But I finished, and didn't let my pace drop below 5 mph.

It was not my greatest run, but I am definitely getting faster, so I'm quite pleased with myself.
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Great that you managed to push yourself to go out and run! I should have gone this morning.... but found too many excuses not to go and stayed in bed instead an hour longer (had a rough night!)... feel very bad about it now, so have to make sure that I go out tonight! Have to work long, but should be juuuuuust finished 30 minutes before it gets dark. Will let you know how it went. I just looked at the schedule, and no way can I imagine to run 16 minutes with so little time to catch my breath in between!! Ah well, we'll see very soon...
starknut

Post by starknut »

You can do it! You ran three minutes straight last week, and your body remembers. Three minutes feels easy compared to the five minute runs in there. But they are all doable, just slow your pace before you get too winded.