Knee problem

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
bex17

Knee problem

Post by bex17 »

Hmmm not really sure what's going on to be honest as my knee seems fine to walk on, no pain what so ever but the minute I kneel down I'm in agony! It's like a burning/pin stabbing sensation that rips down the outside of my knee.
So once again 2steps forward and 1step back and take a rest for a bit.
Has anyone else had this?
Not a runner-yet!

Re: Knee problem

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

You may want to wear a brace when running. You may want to have it looked at. My knee was hurting as well, more of a bone rubbing against bone feeling. I started taking glucosamine daily and my pain stopped. But yours sound more like a nerve being pinched. Make sure to stretch well after each run and even during off days.
Sheri
Chrissyteacup

Post by Chrissyteacup »

Your not having much luck are you bex? Does it appear swollen?
bex17

Post by bex17 »

LOL, I know but I spose I need to see it as a positive and its gotten me to slow down a bit and take my time.
Its not swollen at all, doesnt hurt one bit until I kneel on it or put any pressure on it, its very bizzarre I know. Sheri Im waiting to get a knee brace for support and going up the gym in the morning for a very gentle stretch and I shall gage it then.
Im waiting for bits to start dropping off now :lol: :lol:
Since the start of the olympics Ive seen soooo many ppl out jogging and gutted Im not one of them :cry:
Ive returned to swimming too as that should help :D
Chrissyteacup

Post by Chrissyteacup »

I'd not twigged that it's since the olympics that there's more runners lol I'd put it down to the weather silly me! Dint go pushing too hard you don't wanna hurt yourself!
hjeremy

Post by hjeremy »

i guess this is a really bad case of possible ligament trauma and this need to be checked on becasue this could lead to further damages and even tear which is more difficult to cure this is something that you should not prolong and have it checked by the doctor i do hope that you will be able to relieve yourself from the pain as i know this could really be very painful especially if it gets too stretched.
Not a runner-yet!

I bet many people are running because if the Olympics! In my mind I'm an Olympic runner, but in my body I'm more like the old guy on the movie UP. Swimming is a great exercise for the whole body without the knee strain. I wish I had a pool close! I live in the country and right now all I have close is corn fields! Keep us updated about that knee!
Sheri
bex17

Post by bex17 »

well, I called my doctors this morning to get an appointment and cant get to see my doc until 16th aug so I guess Ill have to wait till then :?
Swimming this evening, I find swimming uses the same breathing pattern as running so if nothing else it ll keep that up.
Sheri, Im very lucky to have a pool not 5 mins away.
Its strange cos its not swollen or bruised looking at all so I keep catching myself every time I go to kneel (didnt realise how much I do this till it hurts like crazy lol) and let out a yelp!!
My physio said she ll have a look at it for me but I think Ill have a few weeks to wait for an appointment with her too.
Ohhhh the fabulous NHS lol :lol:
Not a runner-yet!

Well it sounds like a nerve being pinched especially since there isn't any bruising. I'm sure you're swimming will keep you up. Good luck even though it stinks you have to wait si long for the appointments! I hope it turned out ok for you!
Sheri
bex17

Post by bex17 »

Yeah the swimming went ok although I could defiantly feel it in my knee but that's good I think, so I tried a gentle run on the treadmill to see how that felt and that was good, managed 15 mins non stop so I think until I'm seen by the doc/ physio I'll stick to the treadmill for the time being.
I know it's not the same as out in the open air by a long shot but it's going to keep my fitness level up hopefully until my knee is sorted :)