When do you run?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
So not a runner

When do you run?

Post by So not a runner »

What time of day do you run? I'm concerned about staying the course and looking for advice from the wise voices of experience....
I'm trying to figure the best time for me - before work (about 05:30 to 06:00) or after work before I start making dinner or after family eats?
Thanks for the advice!
SarahinShibs

Re: When do you run?

Post by SarahinShibs »

I run/exercise in the mornings first thing (between 6.30am - 7.30am). I like the cooler temperature and that there are not a whole lot of people around to see me staggering along! Also, I just like to get it out of the way early so I can go through my day feeling energised and not having to worry about things popping up which may stop me from working out. ;)
Digbycat

Post by Digbycat »

I'll second that - I have tried running later and for me it doesn't work, first thing in the morning it's done. Also as a piano teacher I find my students who progress the most are those who practice before school/work as they are less likely to get distracted by television or dinner.

But it all comes down to what works for you and have fun. :)
starknut

Post by starknut »

I get my runs in first thing in the morning, before breakfast, and it leaves me with so much motivation and energy throughout the day that I always end up getting more accomplished.
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

I would prefer to run in the mornings, but it doesn't always work out! So, I run whenever I can. I agree with the previous posters, mornings are best. When I wait until it cools off here in the States, it's usually after 9 pm and I have trouble sleeping. I'm a teacher and school starts in a few weeks so I'm going to need to get myself on a good morning schedule!

Good luck!
Sheri
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

I start to have a morning routine now, where I first eat a small bowl of granola, to give me some much needed energy for my run and then do 5-10 minutes of stretching, before I get started. I noticed that the stretching before the run helps me a lot in the first intervals, as I am stiff as a log in the morning! Let's see how long I can keep up with this routine, as I've only just completed W2R2 this morning, but so far so good!. I can't imagine running in the evening, I think it requires much more discipline to go out and run instead of just sit on the couch and watch the olympics :D