incline on treadmill, advice needed

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
starknut

incline on treadmill, advice needed

Post by starknut »

I restarted Get Running with the treadmill incline set to two, because this is the best way to make an easy transition to outdoor running. However, at the speed I am running at, this makes things pretty impossible. Two degrees of incline! Such a tiny angle to be causing all this trouble! I am having real difficulty with week 3. <-- That is an understatement. I caved and turned the incline down to one and I'm still struggling.

Should I just stop being so ambitious and just go back to running with zero incline? It feels like giving up to me, but I am so disheartened at my failure to do these runs that I suppose completing them is more important than my outdoor endurance at this point. My husband is the one who is advising me to just stop beating myself up and go to zero incline, because my aim is speed, and we're not running outdoors at all right now anyway. I understand that in my enthusiasm to build my speed I have probably bitten off more than I can chew.

What do you think?
bex17

Re: incline on treadmill, advice needed

Post by bex17 »

hey you are doing a great job.
Im carrying on my runs on the treadmill too. I started with no incline then each week I up it a half. Dont beat yourself up over it, just do what ever you are comfortable with and not what everyone else is saying you should do. There is no right or wrong way thats the joy of this app :D
I hurt my ankle and then my knee so I ve stayed on the treadmill until it all gets sorted but Im ok with that, I may take a lot longer to get to the end of this app but Im enjoying every bit.
Just remember its better to go carefully and comfortably than ending up with an injury ;) Happy runnings :D
Digbycat

Post by Digbycat »

It sounds like you're doing fab to me.

I stopped using the treadmill completely and do all my runs outside I guess the reason you're not is the heat where you are - why not try getting up early one morning and do an outdoor run and see how you get on.

But You're doing great don't beat yourself up if you set the incline to zero for one run then increase it to 1 then back to 2 for subsequent runs. I also wondered what speed you have been aiming for - you say you have been focusing on speed but week 3 doubles the time you're running to 3 minutes so you will need to pace yourself. Try reducing the speed a bit just to make sure you keep going. One of the things I've enjoyed most about following this program is monitered how much my speed has changed/improved over the course of it and I have noticed that it is always slower every time the run length increases for at least the first run the aim in the early days is to keep going speed will come later as the strength improves.

Keep running :)
jackdamery

Post by jackdamery »

I agree, you should run outside. Find a relatively flat place, like a park. Run as slowly as you can and in the last minute or so you can run fast if you want to.
starknut

Post by starknut »

I do love outdoor running, but here in Florida, the heat, humidity and bugs just don't allow for a nice experience! By the time it starts cooling off, I'll have moved further north, so hopefully by that point I'll be able to enjoy it.

I'm trying to run at 6 mph, which I feel shouldn't be as difficult as it has been lately. 6 mph is a reasonable speed, I'm just very slow. I started running more than a year ago at 4 mph and have built up to a whopping 4.7 mph, and I had been hoping for faster results by going back and redoing the program.

Repeating week 3 is probably my best option, but I'm so discouraged. I wanted to complete the program in time for our vacation.

edited to add: Today was a rest day, but I felt really good and wanted to give it a try on zero incline. It wasn't easy, but I did all the runs! So right now I feel confident enough to smash it out again tomorrow and then really enjoy my two rest days. I will probably repeat this week, though, as much as I don't want to. Pushing ahead when I'm not ready will just make things worse.
jackdamery

Post by jackdamery »

Wow, well done on a year of running! Don't get too hung up on the speed you run. I'm a young guy and I make sure to run slowly as I think you'll get more benefit from it. Don't be discouraged, I repeated week 5 and it was worth it. I'm getting in shape for the army officer selection, and I know I'm not going to get there by over exerting myself before I'm ready.