And so it begins

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Marieinnottm

Re: And so it begins

Post by Marieinnottm »

Thanks Nic for your comments. I got mine from the shop outlet at DW sports and they didn't actually say I could return them. I was going to go to sweatshop and wish I had now. It's hard to know you will get blisters by running a few seconds on a treadmill so if it happens on today's run then I am going to ring them and ask. I've bought some socks that are a bit thicker at the back where the trainers have rubbed so hoping this will help along with the plasters!!!! Not what I need to be fair when the whole of my body is aching today after Monday's run (I'm so unfit it's quite embarrassing)!! Will see how I go later.

Catgal63 well done on your first run. I'm doing slimming world inconjunction with this app so really hoping to shed some fat!! Keep at it. I'm exactly the same as you and have a mental barrier (and physical cos I'm so sore from Monday's run) but I'm going to get through it. I have to. I simply can't stay this fat and unfit anymore. No pain no gain. I'm off on my second run of week 1 shortly. Albeit up the gym on a treadmill because it has not stopped pouring down all day. I hope running on the treadmill is as effective and not any harder. It's that or nothing and I've a habit of finding excuses not to do it so I'm going to the gym and not letting the awful weather put me off. Good luck with run 2 on Friday. Keep at it and let me know how you get on :-)
Catgal63

Post by Catgal63 »

Marie- thank you. Hopefully the losing weight and learning to run will compliment each other. Whenever I start a new activity the second day always seems to be worse for soreness. I hope after today your sore muscles will ease up. Just keep thinking, you are building muscle and burning fat. Kudos to you for going to the gym! I have a treadmill in my home and I love it. I have been a walker for years but would really like to transition to a runner.
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

W3R1

Ouch. :)

I had to miss my first scheduled run of the week (Sunday) because of the rain, so I did it yesterday. I have a feeling that this is going to become a recurring theme - the first run of each week being a killer, because that sure as hell was!

To begin with I was delighted when Miss Chirpy (the name I give the instructor) told me there would only be four runs instead of the six I was used to, but had a mild panic attack when told that two of them would be three minutes. That's nothing to the pros, of course, but for amateurs it is like taking off the stabilisers!

One interesting thing of note was how I was exceptionally aware of my legs on the first run. It was though I could sense all of the bones detached, rattling along like a skeleton. I'm not sure why I felt so unconditioned - I'd only missed a couple of days and I stretch well enough after sessions. It didn't bode well, but thankfully that sensation disappeared by the time of the second or third run.

It was really the last run, the second of three minutes, that was the toughest. Had it been another minute in length I likely wouldn't have completed it, but I managed to make my way to the end. The breathing became very deep, very fast, and quite uncontrolled towards the end. Damn proud I did it though. The second run can only be easier.

Onwards and upwards!

Amyg5576: have you done run two as yet? How did you find it?
Catgal: keep it up! Give yourself these 10 weeks or so, and tell yourself that you can quit if you don't like how you feel after the 10 weeks. It's a gamble worth taking for all of us!
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

W3R2

Hmmm.

I'm a shade discouraged after my latest run, but just a shade! It was another tough run, a little easier than the W3R1 run, but not as easier as I hoped/expected it would be.

I did start off at a faster trot than previously, which came naturally rather than being forced, and my lungs definitely seem to becoming more powerful. I can honestly say that this was the run where I really felt a sense of progress, because the first run (90 seconds) was very comfortable -- it wasn't that long ago that such a run would have winded me.

Today is the day after the run and I'm feeling it in my legs. There is a general soreness, but particularly around the knees, shins and ankles. I'm hoping that this is par for the course and that I'll be feeling better for it come Sunday. :)
Catgal63

Post by Catgal63 »

Just finished W1R2, a day late due to traveling. But actually this will adjust to my schedule better. The run went well and so far I am really enjoying it. I keep thinking, if I keep this up I could be a runner by Thanksgiving! I don't have to be a good runner, just a slow jogger is good enough for me. But to be able to run for 30 minutes straight...I hope I can do it! I have to learn to stretch though. Are the same stretches okay for before and after? Happy Running everyone! :D
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

W3R3

:|

Well, I'm a little confused after my final run of week three. It felt as tough as the previous two runs, and I even felt some resentment towards Miss Chirpy as she said "Your final run will be three minutes, but don't worry - you've already done a run just like it" (easy for you to say! Heh heh)

Once again I was running on empty right at the end, struggling to control the breathing a bit, and feeling generalised aches around my legs. At this point I'm not sure whether to take a bash at W4R1 or simply repeat W3R3 until I feel a significant improvement. Probably the former...
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

W3 - REPEATED

So, this last week has been dedicated to repeating week three. The fact of the matter is that I just did not feel ready for anything more than what I was already doing.

At the end of weeks one and two I genuinely felt like progress had been made and that I was ready to make the step up. But to date I have consistently struggled with week three - the legs feel very heavy and sore, and the pace really slows down by the end. The cardio aspect has improved though. Maybe it's just me, but the jump from 90secs/three mins to three mins/five mins seems like a very big one; perhaps another "bridge" week would have been good (two mins/four mins for example?)

One thing I am going to start doing is to play music or podcasts. To date I've run without any accompaniment, but I think as the runs get longer it becomes more important, otherwise you're just listening to the voices in your head (which ain't always a good thing if you're feeling it!) So this coming week I will give week four a crack; suffice to say that I'm nervous, but hopefully I'll surprise myself!
Catgal63

Post by Catgal63 »

Hi flyboy. I don't think I could run without tunes. The voices in my mind would talk me out of it! I shuffle my favorite playlist so I don't know what song is coming next.

I had a great run yesterday, wk2r2. I felt so good, almost high, most of the day. I am really enjoying this and I look forward to each run. I just hope I can really run for that long...(mental thing). Somewhere inside me there is a runner, just waiting to bust out, lol. :lol:

I have been doing all my running on my treadmill with a 1.5% incline. Someday, when I feel more like I am a runner, and not a walker trying to be a runner, I will venture outside with my running. Maybe in a couple weeks. I am slightly worried because other programs I have tried I never got past week 3 and gave up. But I feel different this time and am really enjoying it, and in better shape too. I am not pushing for speed, I am only at 4.2 mph, but I am only on week 2.
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

W4R1

So after repeating week three, I took the plunge and went for week 4. I managed to get through it!

My feeling on this run is that it represents the beginning of the crossover from eager amateur to proper runner. When you start this app it is all a bit of a lark - the one minute runs might wind you, but they are more than doable and leave you feeling very proud of yourself. But at this point, something changes. You really feel the three and five minute runs. No longer that short burst of running, but proper sustained movement. Other runs further along the line might be physically harder, but I do wonder whether this will be the biggest psychological test.

The good news is that the legs were able to handle it - and they ought to be able to, considering the size of the muscles now! Really, really surprising how toned and hard the leg muscles get in such a short period of time. I did have to run very slowly at times though...it kinda amused me when I'd hear "Remember - if you're finding the pace tough, just slow down", because I'm not sure I could have gone much slower without going into reverse :lol:

Catgal, thanks for the heads-up on the iPod. I have started listening to podcasts these last couple of runs (The Infinite Monkey Cage - highly recommended!) and they have helped. I think if it was just my thoughts bouncing around in my head for five minutes of running then there would have been a strong chance of not completing it.
Catgal63

Post by Catgal63 »

I ran w3r2 yesterday and was surprised to find that it just felt like it was over so fast...and not a struggle. My legs felt like they just wanted to keep going. I hope this feeling sticks around as the runs get longer. I am a little nervous for next week but mostly excited.