And so it begins

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Toadie

Re: And so it begins

Post by Toadie »

Well done, you beat the intervals! Congratulations!
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

Catgal and Toadie: thanks so much for the encouragement. Boy, it has been a journey to get here, and yet it oddly feels like it has flown by. I can't believe I beat the intervals...my god! The amount of times I've tried and failed run/walk apps before after weeks one or two. Now I'm running for 25 minutes for the first time in 12 years! On which note...

W7R1

25 minutes.

BROKEN RECORD ALERT...this was the toughest run to date!

I have again been hampered by weather, so it was my first run for a week. This was on top of a heavy, extended weekend of partying last week and a slow-recovery sluggishness throughout the week. The muscles felt softer, I felt stiffer, and I wasn't that confident going out there.

The first five minutes were alright, but then I started to struggle. I tried to blank any negative thoughts out of my mind and focused on getting to 15 minutes and then below 9.59. I managed that, but I must admit I hit a crisis point then. I REALLY gave strong consideration to giving up at the 8 minute mark, then the 7 minute mark. I'm at the point now where my legs are really strong and I have no problem getting through any run from a muscular point of view, but cardio is very trying at times.

After hitting the wall at the 8 minute mark, taking quick sharp breaths and swallowing a-plenty, I just tried to remember the principle of putting one leg in front of the other and to focus on the podcast that was playing on my iPod. I made it all the way through to the end, but I'm not going to lie - those last 8 minutes felt like half an hour and I was in first gear throughout! But I felt DAMN proud of finishing it, and the insane amount of sweat and dry heaving afterwards was mascochistically satisfying!

Hopefully the struggle was more a symptom of the break between runs rather than the runs being nearly beyond my ability. I'm hoping to get in a full schedule of three runs this week, so we'll see.

Onwards and upwards!
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

W7R2&3

I have now completed week seven. The second and third runs were not as hard as the first was, and I completed all three runs successfully.

However, I'm pretty anxious right now. Despite being able to physically complete the longer runs, I seem to be struggling with them on a psychological level. I am not sure what it is. Could it be the boredom of a long run? The extended spell of being aware that one is suffering? I just have a generally negative feeling about the run as I'm doing it, until I reach the final five minutes.

Maybe I just need to give myself some more time to adapt to the longer runs. The ironic thing is that I do anticipate a run, look forward to the fresh air and shaking off the day's issues. It's just the actual act of doing it that still needs some mental work.

*shrug*
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hi Flyboy - I get this completely. I reckon you are right and it is mental. I had a great run today and I am wondering if finding a new route had something to do with it? I had not run this route before and somehow it must have kept my interest more because I found, when I had finished, I could not really remember what music I had been listening to? Whereas normally I am concentrating on each track and thinking '10 mins - so that is about 3 tracks' etc :lol: Don't be anxious, your body has proved to you you CAN DO THIS!! :D You have done SO well. Keep going and maybe try a different place to run? Good luck next week!
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

Sorry for the lack of updates, let me try to cover the last couple of weeks.

28 minutes

I have now done 3 x 28 minutes. I think that takes me to the end of week eight, but I'm not that sure (once you are past the intervals you stop becoming obsessed with which week it is!)

They have been tough, but doable. The most interesting takeaway I had was in realising it was easier to run faster than it was slower. To begin with, I really ran as slow as I could in order to ensure I would make it through the full 28 minutes. However, I noticed that it was actually hurting my body as I was landing flush on my knees and feet with every slow movement I made. By increasing my pace, I seemed to have motion that allowed me to glide over the ground without as much impact.

Doing this, I realised I can run around 10 minutes at a really good gallop before needing to slow right back down to second gear for the remainder of the run. So what I'm now working on is increasing that 10 minute window to eventually get to a full 30 minutes of good speed. Then, and only then, will I consider myself a proper runner!

A couple of other notes from the last couple of weeks: the sweating is wonderfully insane. The back of my neck gets soaked, and my face is totally flush, red, wet and soft. It's very satisfying - makes the run feel like a real workout and real calorie-burner. I also missed all of my runs last week, much to my disappointment, but due to circumstances outside my control. I guess it happens once in a while. Last night I picked it back up, got through a slower 28 minutes, and will repeat the run on Tuesday. At this point, with only TWO more minutes to add on, I'm really in no rush to reach the arbitrary end of this program. I'm pretty much there already, and if I can increase the length of time I can run full speed for, I'll be a very happy bunny!
LinP

Post by LinP »

Wow! Just wow. I cant imagine being where you are and admit to being quite scared of it but these honest diaries really help to prepare us newbies (I hope!) for whats ahead.

Best of luck with the remaining runs on C25K. YOuve achieved so much. You must be so proud :)
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Well done Flyboy! I'm going to try running faster too, I think. I keep missing runs as well. I think it's mostly because I'm finding it so much harder to get up in the mornings now it's darker (seriously I think there's something wrong with me :lol: )... I'm worried I'll lose this bit of fitness I've built up, but hopefully if I just manage to get out once or twice a week I can sustain something.
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

Toadie: Heh heh. Maybe missing runs is a symptom of progressing to the later stages. I want to believe that it is a confidence thing. That 20 minute mark is just such a watershed - once you're doing long regular runs, I think the self-belief just skyrockets, allowing us to miss the occasional run. It won't get any easier as the winter rolls on (ice, snow, rain await), but the confidence is strong enough that I reckon I could get by on one run a week until spring.

LinP: you'll do fine! Just believe in the program - it really works. I can honestly say that the game changer for me was a shift in mindset. I promised myself that I'd give a full three months to following the app, and that I could choose to continue or cease activities after that point.

Mental commitment is all that is really required, because the vast majority of people can complete the app from a physical perspective. I was really overweight when I started, hadn't exercised in a long long time, and had a decade of smoker's lungs, i.e. not an optimal package! Every new week will feel like a massive step up, but you will be able to do it. Go ahead and amaze yourself, and keep us all updated!
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

Week 9, R1, 2, 3 - COURSE COMPLETE

I am done!

To be frank, I felt like I'd completed the course as soon as the intervals were over, perhaps even the 20 minute run. Whether you are running 25, 28, 30 minutes, it didn't really matter to me. The point was I could run consistently for a long time, and adding an extra minute here and there felt a bit arbitrary.

The feeling right now is a bittersweet one.

I am very proud of myself for having completed the course. As I said when I started this, I had tried and failed many running regimes before; so to go from zero to 30 minutes is a heck of an achievement. I want to thank the app creators and everyone in the forum for their support and advice. I have also lost some weight, built a ton of muscle in my legs, and feel fitter.

I promised myself I would do this regime for as long as it took to complete it. I'd give myself over to the app for three months. To be honest, I was really expecting I'd feel brilliant and up for a new lifestyle at the end of the regime, but I don't feel like that at all.

I think it is all to do with the pacing. Right now I can run maybe 15 of the 30 minutes at a pretty decent pace, but I then have to slow way, way back down. Then it starts to feel like an endurance event instead of something I actually enjoy. There are some things I can change and aim for: obviously I can look to continue until I can run the full 30 minutes at pace; I can change up my routes; and I can go for lighter, better clothing to perhaps make the run more bearable (I am currently suffering from overheating issues in my old clothes).

But that's really the big question: to continue or not. I am almost certain that I will, because I've come too far to just chuck it all in now.

I hope this doesn't put anyone off doing the app. Do it! It can only make you a better person, and every individual's experience is different. Perhaps it just takes longer for some of us to feel that "switch". :)
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

I actually I know what you mean. For me, the winter is one of the biggest problems - I started the programme in lovely bright early autumn, when it was always a pleasure to run, but now it's so cold and dark and really difficult to fit the running in around working full time! I've booked to take part in a race in January, and at the moment that's what's keeping me going. Hopefully once spring arrives running will seem a bit more inspiring!