Tiredness

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
NervousNewbie

Tiredness

Post by NervousNewbie »

This may not be related but there's a chance it is, which is why I'm posting here.

I've been very fatigued this week and wonder if it's my dedication to the C25K programme. A good example is last night. I was tired and couldn't work up enthusiasm for anything yesterday and was ready for bed at half 7! I actually got to bed at 9 which is seriously early for me I'm normally 10-11 unless I have work to do, in which case I can carry on till the wee hours. I slept through until 5:45 when I awoke naturally and felt good enough to go for my run this morning at 6. Felt fine until about half 10 when I came over extremely tired again and I had a 20 minute nap while my daughter had her nap. I went to sleep without any bother. Now I feel like I could have another nap my eyes are struggling to remain open. It's 3:48pm.

Could it be the running? I have recently developed an issue with sweets where if I eat any (even a couple) about 15 minutes later I am extremely fatigued and will nap if I am able to. I possibly don't eat the best, my 21 month-er is on a very high calorie diet at 18lb, so I have temptation right there and found myself in her drawer this morning pinching cheddar biscuits, chocolate and a brioche roll. :? Could that be it?

A couple of months ago I also took on a high quantity of freelance work which is now complete, but I took to drinking coffee and still do now. The most I'll drink in a day is 4-5 cups, usually I have 1 or 2. Never having been a massive coffee drinker in the past I too wonder if that's having a negative effect.

So many questions, I know this isn't a nutrition board but I thought someone may have some ideas.

Thanks,

Vicki
matt

Re: Tiredness

Post by matt »

Hi Vicki,

First off, let me say I have no medical qualifications! I think it's probably worth going to see your doctor to get an opinion, because they'll know the right questions to ask. Tiredness can be caused by *so* many different things, and there's a lot going on in your life by the sound of it!

I've not found that running makes me particularly tired, or it didn't during the Get Running plan, at least. In fact, if I was feeling tired before my run, often I'd come back feeling a bit more refreshed for a while before the tiredness kicked back in.

As I say, there's so much that could be happening -- starting running, a change in sleep patterns, doing freelance work on top of looking after your daughter, a sensitivity to caffeine or sugar (sudden noticeable sensitivity to sugar is definitely a prompt to go see your doctor, even though it may turn out to be nothing serious), a change of diet -- that it's going to be hard to pin it down without some expert advice.

A doctor can do some blood tests to figure out whether you've got issues with anaemia or blood sugar levels or anything else -- and who knows, they might just tell you you need to cut out the coffee and take a week off! So, that'd be my first stop.

Please let us know how you get on!

Regards,

Matt
Senior Web Monkey, Splendid Things.
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)