w6r2 Fail!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
SarahinShibs

w6r2 Fail!!

Post by SarahinShibs »

So I started c25k in the middle of July and have been going great guns, no injuries or problem completing the runs, even the 20 min w5r3 was no problem and I even repeated it on the treadmill over the weekend just for kicks. W6r1 was also fine (not easy but ok) so I was sure two ten minute runs would be sweet as...and the first one was but half way through the second 10 minute run and I got a wicked stitch, I thought I could just 'run it off' but it got really bad so I HAD to stop. I walked out the rest of my 5km and did a couple little jogs but I was so annoyed I just wanted to get home :(. What should I do next time if I get stitch? Can you run through it? Why was this run sooo much harder than the 20 minute run??? Was I going to fast or something? Anyway, I think I will repeat the run on the treadmill at the gym as it is not so hot in there, maybe it was the heat? (it was about 29degrees at 6:30am here!).

Sorry to rant, any advice welcome :)
Jbutler

Re: w6r2 Fail!!

Post by Jbutler »

I find that I can run through the stitches. For me the best thing is to take deep breaths (even though it hurts to do so) and really try to control my breathing. I also tend to get the stitches if I have a lot of food or water in my stomach so I'm careful about how much I eat or drink before running.
SarahinShibs

Post by SarahinShibs »

Thanks Jbutler, I guess I just have to get a bit harder and keep on going! I was running first thing in the morning (before breakfast) so I can't attribute it to food or drink. I would be curious to know what else triggers stitch?
starknut

Post by starknut »

Like Jbutler said, a lot of times cramps happen because of a full stomach. If you were running on a fairly empty stomach, then your stitch was probably because of uneven breathing. I used to get craaazy stitches until I learned to regulate my breathing. If you were struggling on your run, which it sounds like you were, that's probably what happened. Take your next run a little slower and see if that helps.
SarahinShibs

Post by SarahinShibs »

Thanks for all of the tips. I ended up having a three day break (I was only planning on two but got a migraine yesterday :( ) and today I went to the gym and repeated w6r2 on the TM. It was awesome and no problem. I deliberately set my speed low for the first ten minutes and only a little faster for the second. My 5k took an extra 5 minutes to run but I came off the TM feeling great and with my confidence back. I guess I may have been getting a bit fatigued!