20 minute run in week 5?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
benjohn

Re: Question about week 5

Post by benjohn »

:-) Awesome Li Li! Well done!
cryptogran

Post by cryptogran »

I completed all nine weeks of the program early last year and then had a long break. I am now back to square one. I find that training on a treadmill translates well into "real" running as long as you set the gradient to 1.0. I am amazed again this time round that the runs suggested are in fact an achievable challenge. You just have to do it. I love the sense of achievement each week.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

It's generally very well judged, isn't it? I remember being amazed in the same way. Are you finding that it helps to have been through once before, more psychologically, rather than physically?

Perhaps a topic for the graduate forum: have you got thoughts about why you stopped running after the first time through, and things that would help you to keep going?

Glad you're back on the 'mill again!
Alisonomis

Post by Alisonomis »

Hi everyone, I've just completed run 2 of week 5 and found it a real struggle. I think I'd decided it would be difficult before I even began! Does anyone have any advice for getting my body to achive what my mind believes is impossible? Run 3 is looking like mount Everest right now!!!!!

Thanks
Ali
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

I guess you've already read through the earlier posts here, especially Matt's advice about taking the run very slowly and really reducing your pace for now.

For me there is always the option to not push forward in the plan, and instead to hold at a run for a few extra sessions. You could just do the first and second runs of week five for a few more of your workouts and proceed when they're feeling a bit more comfortable.

Not completing a run can be a bit of a psychological knock. There is no reason why it should – you've still got out there and run, and helped yourself! … but it still can be – I know that I took things easy so as not to give myself anything I could easily see as a failure. Also, I think having got here, you probably are capable of more than you think, so don't hold back for too long, but if you want to, just re-do week five's earlier runs again, and then see how you feel.

Cheers,
Benjohn
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

Hi

I completed Run 3 of week 5 yesterday, i was so pleased with myself as just last week i was thinking there is no way i will be able to run for 20 minutes with no break. It was hard to start with as all runs are but then i got into the swing of things but as i reached 15mins i was ready to give up but i carried on and ended up sprinting for the last section.

I certainly think by doing that 20 min run it does give you the 'leap of faith' to know you can complete the rest of the programme can't wait to get out there and run again!

Lauren x
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Just hit W3D4 and as usual i ran more for my last just to prove i could so I have faith to move on...managed 15 mins without stopping with no problem at all - I ran out of track and hit the road - so I had to put my dogs on the lead so I did stop ....I have the confidence to move on now....can't believe that I can run without stopping!!!!
Alisonomis

Post by Alisonomis »

Hi I just wanted to come on and update! I DID IT!!!! I feel Fantastic and the most bonkers thing of all was it was probably my best run to date. :D
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Awesome Alisonomis :-)

Thanks for sharing your worry and your success here, because it'll be very helpful for other runners with the same concern.

Well done!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

OK - well i didn't think it possible but here I am - the night before W5 D3!!! lol As long as do enough warm up runs i will do 20 i am sure, well i'm not...but i am tellimg myself I am :) Wish me luck!!! lol