Motivation for the program

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Mummyrita

Motivation for the program

Post by Mummyrita »

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has set themselves any goals or rewards for getting through the C25K program?

I am running with my neighbour. When we have finished the 9 weeks we are going to leave the kids with our husbands and go out for dinner and a movie.

I also have a weight-loss incentive, which has a bit of cross-over as it helps me keep running. When I reach my goal weight, I am going to book an appointment with a personal stylist at a nearby shopping centre, to take me shopping for clothes for my new body! I've been feeling a bit of a frumpy mummy, so I'm looking forward to a new body, new fitness and energy, and new clothes.

Anyone else?
SarahinShibs

Re: Motivation for the program

Post by SarahinShibs »

Hi Mummyrita,

I think they sound like great motivators! I tend to reward myself with more fitness gear, or new running shoes etc. For example, after I completed the first four weeks, I went out and got myself some new runners.

When I get to the end of the programme, I think I will buy some nice gear to run in. I guess I don't have as much patientce as you to wait until the end of the 9 weeks though! :)
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

My motivation is a little different. I've spent a decade being out of shape with many failed exercise regimes. I got to the point where I said to myself "You owe yourself 12 weeks. Follow this program through to its conclusion, become a 20-30 minute runner. Take whatever pain comes. And at the end of it you can look back on all the changes you've experienced and make an informed decision whether to continue or quit."
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Up until ~10 years ago, I used to do fencing.. a lot! Even did some national competitions with varying success. Then I got sick for a longer time and moved abroad, and somehow never picked it up again. When seeing the fencing competitions during the Olympic Games, I swore to myself that I would look for a fencing club in the neighbourhood and start to have some fun again!

Of course I am now completely out of shape, so I thought that I urgently have to work on my fitness, so that I don't embarrass myself! The first training will be in 2 weeks, so not much more time to get in shape.. I feel so much more fit than 5 weeks ago, though, that I have confidence that it will be ok. Let's hope that fencing is like riding a bicycle and that you don't completely forget how to do it :shock:
starknut

Post by starknut »

I ran C25k about a year ago, and I'm redoing it now to work on speed. My motivation is running with my husband, who runs considerably faster than I do. I'll be finishing week 9 while we're on a cruise to the Bahamas, so I'm looking forward to going running with Mr Stark on a jogging track in the middle of the ocean.
Jbutler

Post by Jbutler »

I tried the program about two years ago because I wanted to get in shape. Of course two years ago I was a college student and couldn't afford fancy gadgets so i tried following the program using a watch. Needless to say that didn't end well.

About 6 months ago my husband and I sold our house, bought land closer to our families with the intent on building next year. My current job is about two hours away from where we bought land and where my husbands job is, so I'm temporarily holed up here during the week, and go "home" on the weekends. One of my greatest hobbies is reading so during the week I read a lot. I was going through two or three books each week which can be an expensive hobby (not to mention super low energy levels since I was so inactive). I ended up getting a fancy phone to be able to have Internet during the week, and after deciding that I wanted to get in shape again i found this app. I told myself that I would seriously try the app and not worry about what people thought when they saw me transition from running to walking,

I began on may 7th ended on July 16th and ran my first 5k on July 22 in 33'20. Since July 22 I have ran a race every sunday for a total of 4 5ks, and 2 10ks. I never fully expected to run a 10k, it just sort of happened. A friend and I went to a race that had 5k, 10k, and half marathon. Half an hour before the race was to start noone had signed up for the 10k so we thought "we might win if we do it" and sucked it up. Needless to say 7 other people signed up and we came in ahead of one person lol. But this gave me the confidence that I could run a 10k so I ran another one the next weekend, took about 6 minutes off my time and the course was much more challenging. My last 5k was two days ago and I ran it in 30'18. I revel in the little accomplishments. After the first 5k I thought it would be nice to have a pace fast than 10minute miles which gave me a goal. I've exceeded this goal and can say that I can do 9'46 miles during a 5k. My next goal? Short term: do a 5k in less than 30 minutes, long term: break 9 minute miles.

To sum it all up, I run to challenge myself and for my health. I run because I can.

(I swear I'm not a novel writer hah)
thereyet?

Post by thereyet? »

I have to admit my two running buddies are helping make this effort happen. Their accountability and enthusiasm and determination to do a 5k on W9R3 are driving this! I don't dare let them down! Plus I spent $110 on running shoes!

My goal, after the program, is to be able to get out by myself and run for 30 minutes on my own, simply for the exercise. I'm overweight, almost 40, and have three sweet kids. I have so much to get healthy for!!

So thankful for this program and all you off-the-couchers! It's inspiring! Yay for US!
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

My motivation is to look and feel better, mainly for myself but also for my boyfriend. I just got sick and tired of looking at myself in the mirror and feel disgusted about what I saw.
Will buy myself better running shoes soon though - just need to confirm for myself that I will keep with the program :)
Mummyrita

Post by Mummyrita »

Great motivations, everyone! Getting fit is such a good motivator. When my second daughter was a baby, I used to go out every evening and run 20 mins, up steep hills, too. Now she's 3 and my 3rd daughter has just turned 1. I miss the fitness and the me time. I want to go out and run every night again. After this program I think I'll be able to do it. Not to mention the fact that having 3 babies in 4 years has wreaked havoc on my body - I really want to shift the flab!

Keep going everyone, we'll be feeling great in a few weeks!

About to get up and do W5R2 - I did it yesterday but my running buddy was sick so I'm repeating it with her this morning.
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

The day that I run 30 minutes without stopping is the day I buy myself a gorgeous Alex Monroe necklace that I've had my eye on. Saving up while I run!

I'll also give myself a reward after four weeks, I think - maybe a piece of proper running gear, given that currently I'm running in an old tracksuit and trainers that cost £6 from Tesco!