Anyone else using runkeeper with getrunning?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
ab7167

Anyone else using runkeeper with getrunning?

Post by ab7167 »

I find this a great tool especially as I'm starting to get to the longer runs. If anyone else out there is using it, want to see if we can make a getrunning street team so we can egg each other on?

For those not using it, it's a GPS tracking app, there is a free version, and they have recently added a social networking bit on the website so you can track what runs your friends are doing - your street team :-)
Strongrrrl

Re: Anyone else using runkeeper with getrunning?

Post by Strongrrrl »

I just started using Run Keeper, and just finished Week 5 Run 1. My last 4 runs are on Run Keeper. It's great for tracking progress, wish I'd been using it from the beginning! Don't know about a street team, I'd like the extra motivation but not keen to have my precise GPS coordinates available...
ab7167

Post by ab7167 »

I think you can hide your maps from public viewing. I've got mine set to not display, would this be an option?
mercury

Post by mercury »

I've been using Runkeeper, but I'm not too thrilled with it, because I'm not sure how accurate it is. I find that the app always displays a drastically different time than the website, even when I click 're-send data'. So basically, my phone says that I'm running a lot faster than the website does, which I'd be happy to believe :mrgreen: but I'd really like to know which one is right (or if neither is, lol).

Have you guys experienced this? That said, I think it'd be fun to create a street team! I just finished day 1 of week 3 so my stats are all over the place, but it'd be fun to have some c25k company on there :D
Kimmieindallas

Post by Kimmieindallas »

I have both Apps but don't know how I can use both at the same time. How do you do this?
ab7167

Post by ab7167 »

I think (not totally sure) you have to be running iOS4 on a 3GS or later. Then you can simply start runkeeper and set it going. Then press the home key to get back to the main menu and start getrunning. I also use the podrunner (free!) podcasts to run to as the tempo of the music remains constant. So the order for me is start iPod and set the podcast going. Then start runkeeper going. Then start getrunning and press run. And we're off - I'm on wk6r2 and have not had any problems with this sequence ever. Only problem I have had with runkeeper is that if I don't exit the app before going into the house (stone cottage with v thick walls) the end of the run is not always recorded correctly. Simple to get around though.... HTH. If anyone wants to add me to street team, my ID for runkeeper is the same as my ID on here.
Kimmieindallas

Post by Kimmieindallas »

Thanks. I don't have OS4 and won't install due to issues I have heard of. I guess I'll just wait till after C25k to use RK.
NervousNewbie

Post by NervousNewbie »

Hi I gave just completed week 6 and gave been using runkeeper since early on. I 'think' my username is GettingFitterVicki! :)

My routes are private too.
zozobythesea

Post by zozobythesea »

Hi yes I use runkeeper too - username zozobythesea.
Am on week eight at the moment, but going v slowly as I've developed a cold/ sore throat. Cutting back on time/ pace until it's over but I must say getting out and running does actually seem to be helping with recovery - bonus!
ab7167

Post by ab7167 »

Just completed wk6 here as well, am totally awed by the fact I ran for 25 minutes :-). I used to run a fair bit years ago, but I've had 2 children since then... My son is now 5.5 months old and I'm about to stop feeding him myself as I have to go back to work soon. Getrunning will hopefully stop me from putting too much weight back on after G stops needed my calories... Does anyone else get a bit obsessed with the pace stats in runkeeper? My ultimate goal is a sub 1hr 10k so am trying to work out how to pace this!