Slower than a speeding bullet! 12 minute mile!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
thereyet?

Slower than a speeding bullet! 12 minute mile!

Post by thereyet? »

I had been celebrating my success so far in the program (just finished W7R1) but tonight am a bit deflated to learn I've been running a 12 minute mile. I'm willing to cut myself some slack because I'm a beginner to any form of exercise, but this is awfully slow, yes? Do we get *any* faster in the next three weeks or are we just hoping to run for 30 minutes?
SarahinShibs

Re: Slower than a speeding bullet! 12 minute mile!

Post by SarahinShibs »

Well, I guess it depends on how you are measuring it and what your focus is.

If it makes you feel better, I also just completed w7r1 today and my average mile is around 13.43 min/mile, so you are certainly faster than me!

However, if I look at my split, my fastest mile in any one run is usually around 11.30 - 12.00 min/mile. The first and third miles of my run include the 5 min + warm up/warm down walk so it makes sense that they take me longer (which blows out my average). I reckon once I am running for a full 30 mins and can measure that, then I will have a clearer picture of my pace. So, until I get to the end of week 9, I am just trying to concentrate on always doing 5km or more (even if it means walking a bit longer at the end). I can usually do 5km in about 40 - 45 minutes. I am hoping that once I have the endurance I will be able to just focus on speed and get my 5km down to 30mins!
starknut

Post by starknut »

A 12 minute mile is FINE, are you kidding? That's 5 miles per hour, perfectly respectable!
Jbutler

Post by Jbutler »

I usually have about a 12 minute mile when I go out for runs. You will get faster as you work on it. I finished the program about a month and a half ago. My first 5k race was a little over 33 minutes to finish (mind you a few days before that I went out to "try" a 5 k to be sure I could do it and it took me 40 minutes), just a week ago I ran another 5k and my time has improved to 30'18.

Don't get discouraged with your time. It will get better the more you run
thereyet?

Post by thereyet? »

Okay, thanks! Sounds like we will improve relatively quickly but it's not unusual as beginners to take more than 30 minutes for 5K. I gotta stop comparing myself to experienced runners.

As "Fiona" says...we were just running little one minute runs just WEEKS ago!