Ouch ouch ouch - knee problem!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Nicsd

Ouch ouch ouch - knee problem!

Post by Nicsd »

Hi everyone

Have completed week W2 and the end of last week and for the last week I have had such a painful knee, I can't barely walk!

Think I might have to visit dr this week as appears to be getting worse, not better. Haven't done any exercise this week as its just too painful.

Just wanted to share as I am so gutted not to be able to run as I was really enjoying it. Hoping that I'll be able to get back to it after some rest. Also hoping weather stays nice enough for me to keep running when the time comes - I am in Scotland!
Catgal63

Re: Ouch ouch ouch - knee problem!

Post by Catgal63 »

Sorry to hear of your knee problem. Good luck with it and I hope it heals quickly and you can return to the program.
bex17

Post by bex17 »

Aw I'm sorry to hear that. I had a knee problem a few weeks back and I went to my dr and he said I could carry on running but only on a treadmill for the time being as it will take a while to sort itself out.
Praps if you tried the treadmill? It's lower impact so no where near as painful.
Hope it's better soon :D
Nicsd

Post by Nicsd »

Seen the dr yesterday who has diagnosed a sprained ligament in knee and has advised no exercise until pain goes. He thinks probably up to 2 weeks. Total nightmare and bored out of my skull not being able to exercise!! Hoping I can return to the program once pain disappears x
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Oh no, poor you! That must be so annoying. Haha, I remember a time when I would've LOVED to have been diagnosed with an injury that meant I wasn't allowed to exercise, but now it sounds like the worst thing ever. Hope you get back on the road soon. In the meantime, maybe you could go swimming gently to keep your cardio up a little?
Mikeb

Post by Mikeb »

Rest it and don't try to come back too early otherwise you might just have another setback.

Also, I've noticed that stretching well especially after running really help with my knee's. I think post running stretches are more important
Nicsd

Post by Nicsd »

Ha ha @ wishing you had an injury that prevented exercise!!! So true. Can't believe how annoyed I am about it!! Desperate to get back to it. Dr said no exercise until pain gone so will stay off until better and then start swimming. Knee is really sore to walk so don't want to do any further damage.
Nicsd

Post by Nicsd »

Wanted to update incase anyone finds themselves in a similar position. I rested completedly until pain in knee disappeared. I think I walked with a limp for 2 weeks but still had pain for another week. Sunday past I walked a 5k sponsored walk with no pain during or after so thought it was time to get back to running.

I thought I'd redo week 2 so started there and managed it no bother and with no pain. Today I moved to week 3 and managed well so will keep going from there. I am icing knee after runs on advice from doc.

Loving the 3 minute runs and felt I could have gone a bit longer. So glad to be back out and about.

Also added a new song to my runnin playlist - TTF New Emotion. It's fast, fab and lyrics really spur you on! Pity it came on during final walk today!
NicAshley

Post by NicAshley »

Hi!

Great to hear your knee has recovered. It must be horrible to have the enthusiasm and motivation and then an injury stops you in your tracks.

Thanks for the song recommendation! It's ready on my playlist for tomorrow's run :)

Nic