Treadmill vs outside

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Mikeb

Treadmill vs outside

Post by Mikeb »

Normally I run outside on a dirt path although in Texas in 95 degree heat. Today I ran on a treadmill and it seemed so much easier and less impact on my knee

So my question is are treadmills a lot easier to run on or am I just killing myself running in the heat outside. I guess once it cools down I will know
starknut

Re: Treadmill vs outside

Post by starknut »

Treadmills are lower impact than running outdoors, better for your knees and shins. It is a little easier because you don't have to deal with the heat, and wind resistance. If you enjoy the treadmill more right now, by all means, keep running indoors! That's what I'm doing for now, until it cools off a bit and the bugs ease off.
Mummyrita

Post by Mummyrita »

Haven't run on a treadmill for a while, but it's certainly easier when conditions outside are nasty - and it is easier on your joints. It's also easier to control speed/slope etc.

However, running outside is more interesting - so it depends on whether or not you need distraction from the pain to be able to keep going. The other thing about outside is that once you get a way from home, you've got to get home again, so you might as well keep running. But if you're on a treadmill it's very easy to jump off!

If I had a treadmill I would use both, esp in summer (and wet weather). I'm limited to the great outdoors, though.
missy72

Post by missy72 »

I personally find the treadmill easier to run, as it's easier to control my pace, however I get more bored. Outside I like to see how far I'm running, and when it's a lovely day, running in the park is great.

However as winter is approaching and my work hours, I don't think I'm going to be comfortable running in the dark in the park so I'm going to have to go to the gym instead.

I've just today finished Week 5 run 3. The dreaded 20 mins. I was so dreading it yesterday, but today as it was raining really heavily I went and did it on the treadmill and part of me feels like it was cheating (as I know it was easier) but so proud that I could have actually gone on longer.

Someone please tell me I didn't cheat? lol
Lisa_Bee

Post by Lisa_Bee »

I have a X-trainer... not quite the same thing I know, but I like it because it is easier on my joints (have had an ACL reconstruction & many an ankle sprain).

I plan alternate using it with the great outdoors... but as I've just started out I'm not really comfortable with running in public just yet so I've run laps around my back yard (1.5 acres but still boring as anything!) and today (W1R2) I used the X-trainer.

Trouble is, I found that I had trouble maintaining a 'walk' speed & wasn't sure if my 'run' speed was the same as what it would be outside. It felt a bit easier but I'm wondering if that's because I'm getting used to jogging and the X-trainer is easier on the joints... or because I cheated!!? :roll: I was going to post my own question about this but figured I'd piggy back on yours as it didn't seem worthy of a whole new thread - so sorry for the hijack!
Hostiemostie

Post by Hostiemostie »

Hi Mikeb,
Mikeb wrote:Normally I run outside on a dirt path although in Texas in 95 degree heat. Today I ran on a treadmill and it seemed so much easier and less impact on my knee

So my question is are treadmills a lot easier to run on or am I just killing myself running in the heat outside. I guess once it cools down I will know
My partner is a personal trainer and we've had this discussion over which is best, indoor running versus outdoor.
The treadmill is easier due to wind resistance and terrain. Apparently 5 minutes on a treadmill is worth 2 and a half minutes outdoors!!!
So, to make your treadmill running more worthwhile, put it at an incline of 1%, this adds some resistance to your run and likens it more to outdoor running, therefore when the weather has cooled off and you can run outside again it won't come as such as shock by being so much harder!

Hope this helps.
Esoper09

Post by Esoper09 »

I personally think treadmill is better. I have to push myself more. When I am outside I running I find myself slowing down when I get tired, but on the treadmill I put it to a speed and maintain it till the run is done.
Mikeb

Post by Mikeb »

It is nice to have the constant pace of the treadmill which is part of my problem outside. I run too quick outside. I've been putting it at 2% since I was told that's more realistic

The treadmill is definitely easier on the feet
Tinnyboy

Post by Tinnyboy »

Hi Lisa_Bee

I also do my workout on a x trainer as my ankle and back don't take kindly to the jarring of a run.