Keep going...

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Vickicb

Keep going...

Post by Vickicb »

Hi - I started this App on July 1st and today, to my total and utter amazment, ran 31 minutes non stop, and did 4.5K. :D

This was Wk9 Run1 for me - but as I'm running Nike+ in the background I knew, when "Claire" told me to stop that I was close to the 4.5k mark, so I kept going for another minute.

I am almost 40, smoked 20 a day since I was 15 (but gave up in January), and I probably drink too much.

Until I did this App I had dabbled at the gym, probably once every 5 years, for a few weeks and then got bored.

However, I have found this and I LOVE running! I am doing a 5K R4L in 3 weeks (was postponed twice this summer in Leicester and when they announced the new date I thought I might as well) - the last time I did a R4L must be 10 years ago and I walked it. I probably even had a fag on the way round :oops: . This time I will run it without stopping and hope to do it in around 34 mins.

After that, I might try a few parkruns, but I also need to increase my overall distance as I seem to have "somehow" signed myself up to a local half marathon - I think a bottle of wine may have been to blame - it is 7 months away though!

For those just starting out, on July 1st I struggled to run the 8 x 60 seconds. And I remember feeling like I had won the lottery when I ran for 5 minutes! Despite everyone fearing the jump up to the 20 minute run, I was ready to do that whe I got to it, I just really wanted to do a continuous run and feel like "a runner".

Now, if I have to stop for traffic or whatever, I do find it hard to get going again, so I don't think I'll do an interval programme again, just increase my distance gradually over time I guess.

If you are new, do have faith that this programme works - it is amazing how quickly your body adapts to regular running. Good Luck!
Mummyrita

Re: Keep going...

Post by Mummyrita »

Thanks for the encouragement. I did w5r3 on Sunday - didn't think a few weeks ago that it would be as doable as it was. I used to force myself to run - now I look forward to it!
Toadie

Re: Keep going...

Post by Toadie »

Congratulations! That's really heartening to read - I just did my second run of week one this morning, and it's so exciting to see where I could end up. Well done for completing the whole programme, and for enjoying it too!