Anyone run with their dogs???

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Dawn

Re: Anyone run with their dogs???

Post by Dawn »

I completely agree Kiki. Mine too...and on those days i don't want to go out at all - they get me there! ;) What sort of dog have you?

I also agree with you about the first 3 runs.....then i feel like i can go on forever! ;)
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Dawn and I were discussing in this thread that the first few running intervals in a run often seem to be the hardest. My suggestion is to do a few short and very light jogs in your warm up, and perhaps make the warm up a little longer. That seemed to work for me, anyway :-)
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

It really works for me!
LoeRennt

Post by LoeRennt »

I took Tobi at 5:20 this morning! He was such a brave doggie and ran along with me. Every time we passed the entrance to my appartment block he did attempt to run back indoors, but he was easily persuaded to keep running. I'm proud of him! :D

Are you guys running with your dog on a leash, or are they running free?
reelon

Post by reelon »

I started the program today and my dog went with me. She really like it! When the running minute was over she would look at me like saying "why did you stop and walk....lets keep going" when we came back she ate and went into sleeping mode. We'll see how it goes on Thursday.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi Loe (is that your name? ;) )

My dogs run free - Muji spends the early part of the runs running along barking at me - she is very cute - then she loses interest!! lol......but i am lucky enough to be able to run in the woods with them...you can get leads that you wear around your waist while you run, they sell them on the CaniX website for starters but I have seen them in my local pet shop. How are you and Tobi getting on now? :)
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi Reelon - ha ha sounds like your dog has the bug too!!! What I really love about running with the dogs is that it gets me out of the door - I am sure if I didn't have them there would be days when I just couldn't make myself go!

Good luck tomorrow - let us know how you are getting on :)

Dawn
Kiki

Post by Kiki »

Hi Dawn
In answer to your question I have a Border Collie who runs like lightning and seldom tires under normal walking conditions so running gives her a good work out too. :D I tend to run where there is little or no traffic so I also let her run free of the lead. . . . mainly because she hates being on it but also she responds quickly to commands and is generally well behaved. . . . and I wouldn't be able to keep up her pace! :) Though she manages effortlessly to keep up with mine :D
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Ha ha - you'll never tire a border collie will you?? lol This morning I was zig zagging across a field because I was struggling with the hills!! lol and my two just kept looking at me each time I changed direction...they don't like going back where they came from !! ;) lol
reelon

Post by reelon »

Hey everyone, sorry for the late post, I finished week two and getting ready for week three, my dog still loves, but the occasional dog that barks gets her a little off track, but then she picks up (she is on a leash after all!). I can't believe that this Thursday will start week three! Let's keep on running!