Anyone run with their dogs???

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Nicky

Re: Anyone run with their dogs???

Post by Nicky »

Yep, I run with my 2 border collies, (I'm only on run 2). The dogs think its great. 1 dog is crazy and runs everywhere, the other is a little more laid back and tends to trot rather than run, so he has to keep up now. Which is good, because he needs to lose a little weight too :lol: (Its great it combines my exercise with theirs). We do run in the woods though so their not on leads, which I suppose makes it alot easier than road running.
kickboxerchick8

Post by kickboxerchick8 »

I would like to start running with my dog, but I live in Southern California, so woods and open fields are hard to come by. She wonderful off lead, but I do road running, so I don't want her getting a scent and going astray! I think she would really love it though. For those of you who do run with your dogs on lead, how hard is it for you? I know that when I take my dog for walks (she's a Lab) she's all over the place in front of me, and stopping to smell things, so I wonder if she would be better in a place where she could be free to do her own thing.

I've taken her through some canyons in the area before, and she loved it, because she could run ahead and then come back, but I know that I can't run those hills yet!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Sorry - I have never run with mine on a lead. You can buy leads to go around your waist. I'm sure you would be able to train them to run along with you. Mine did do their own thing, and sniff then catch up or run ahaed - i did have to stop to sort them out sometimes but they are pretty good off lead.

CaniX do some pretty good equipment - i posted the link on this site before....
laurie

Post by laurie »

Dawn I love samoyeds. they are such kind natured dogs. I am counting down the days / years until I can get one or two.. and I will take them running of course :)
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi Laurie,

They really are lovely dogs - i don't think i would ever get another breed now :). I got one of mine from Samoyed rescue and he's adorable - i feel very lucky ! :)

How long before you might get one do you think?

Dawn
Mimsy Star Delux

Post by Mimsy Star Delux »

Hi there

I would love to run with my dog, I have a Dalmatian who is just built for running but when I run on the road my shin-splints hurt so bad I end up giving up running. Don't get them on the treadmill but then can't get my dog to come the gym with me :cry:

I tried running with him a couple of times and like your dog 'kickboxerchick8' he criss-crossed constantly and will lunge at anything that potentially could be food (a leaf to my dog looks like a hamburger!!)

My plan is to strengthen my legs up on the treadmill and then get out and try again with him. Our only off lead space isn't well lit so I'll have to get my timing right cos I don't want to run in the dark, dog or no dog!! ;)