Anyone run with their dogs???

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LoeRennt

Re: Anyone run with their dogs???

Post by LoeRennt »

Hi Reelon, congratulations on finishing week 2! How are you doing in week 3?
It's a great motivator to run with a dog, right? I love it when mine looks behind him as if to say: come on, we can do this!

Hi Dawn, mine walks/runs on a leash in the city, but off it in the woods (which we both love the most). He is quite badly behaved on the leash, but when he's off it he is suddenly a model doggie. I don't know why, but there's no use asking why when it comes to dachshunds LOL
And yes Loe is my name :-) (pronounced as Lou in English, I suppose)
We have just finished week 4 together and the big week 5 is looming!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hello Loe,

I love to see smaller dogs off lead, so many people don't let them when they are small. Mine really love the running - but I can't get them to run ahead of me all the time - which I need to do if i want to do Canix! Might have to rethink! lol Also - as summer comes round - mine struggle in the heat as they are SO furry!. How are you both getting on with the running ????
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Well.... W6D1.

The dogs were a big hinderance today!! :lol: everytime i sort of found a rhythm Carson would either get himself stuck in brambles or try hump another dog - so I had to keep stopping to sort him out - or apologise to another dog owner!!! lol I think maybe it was his way of getting me to stop - they seemed to bit a bit tired today!!! ;)
LoeRennt

Post by LoeRennt »

ROFMAO!!! I know *just* what you mean! Tobi was trying to hump a bouvier no less (about four times his size) two runs ago. It's so embarrassing haha It's the season for their hormones to go wild, I suppose, but it's terribly annoying if it's stopping you from running.

I do kind of think that Tobi getting stuck is a funny reason to interupt a run, just because of the face he pulls when he is stuck. You can see that he is thinking: "Oh no!! I enjoyed my young life, but now it's all over for me! No one can save me,
woe me!" Hahaha he's so dramatic! And completely over the moon when he's free again! Is it the same for Carson?

Well done for being in week 6! How did Carson like running for 20 minutes? I'm debating to not take Tobi with me for that run, because I'm not sure whether he'll enjoy it... And I really don't want any getting stuck/humping incidents that day. Oh well... we have w5d2 coming up first.
And how did you like the 20 min run? Was it very hard?
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi Loe, why they always go for the big dogs is beyond me, lol I can picture Tobi now!!!
I have two dogs so they amuse themselves when I'm running, sometimes running with me sometimes off on their own. Mine are fair sized dogs so 20 mins is nothing to them.

The twenty is completely doable - just have faith in yourself. The first ten mins were a struggle but I just took the advice and slowed down the last ten were brilliant! I stuck an extra five on to make up for the harder ten! You may have seen in my other posts, I always run walk to warm up because I seem to find it takes me a while to get into it... But once I do I fee like I could run for ages.
Let us know how you get on.. And if Tobi makes it out or not;)

Dawn
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi All - hows it all going? My dogs will start to suffer now in the heat - lucky I am an early runner! ;)
reelon

Post by reelon »

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted lately, but today I finished the first 20 min run!!! :D :D :D
My dog just seem to be doing great, always at the end she has an extra sprint in her!!
Wannabe runner!

Post by Wannabe runner! »

hi dawn. I jog with my doggies they seem to enjoy & it's keep them away from distractions other dogs etc as they just follow me!
I have a staffie bitch & a parsons jack Russell dog x
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

reelon wrote:Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted lately, but today I finished the first 20 min run!!! :D :D :D
My dog just seem to be doing great, always at the end she has an extra sprint in her!!
Hey! Brilliant - so have you done your 25 now (been a while since i was able to reply!) I bet you feel great :) I know I did.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Wannabe runner! wrote:hi dawn. I jog with my doggies they seem to enjoy & it's keep them away from distractions other dogs etc as they just follow me!
I have a staffie bitch & a parsons jack Russell dog x
Hey :) Cute dogs, I love staffies. how are you getting on? i am guessing that like me you run off road? I have had to change my route now i am onto the 25 mins because Carson dosn't get any time in the pond as I now run passed...so i try to run back so I now end there. From you intro post it sounds like you might have been a runner previously??

I am still loving it :)

Nice to meet you - keep in touch :)

Dawn