Anyone run with their dogs???

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Dawn

Anyone run with their dogs???

Post by Dawn »

I have only started this week, but I started so that i could race with my dogs... I saw Canix on TV and it just looks great.
http://cani-cross.co.uk/index.shtml but i have always really hated running. Anyway - I have two Samoyeds - Carson and Muji so have started running together. I have to say - they think it's great fun!! lol ...so anyone else supported by their pooches???? :lol:
benjohn

Re: Anyone run with their dogs???

Post by benjohn »

:-) Hi Dawn – I didn't realise that you'd already started running with your dogs! That's brilliant, I hope your post wil inspire someone else to try it too!

We've not got dogs (two boys are plenty of trouble at the moment), but I can imagine it would be good fun, and great exercise for all of you.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Ahh yes! At the moment, I walk for about half hour to get to the woods then I do the run then we walk for about another hour. The dogs are really loving me running - they really think it's great fun - it gives them energy too! Well I aready have to walk my dogs...I think that is why I have wished I liked running...it is just the obvious progression :)

I am not training them for the Canix harness or anything yet....might never we'll see :) I bet your two boys keep you on your toes...I think dogs are worse...at least children grow up!!! lol
jspiro

Post by jspiro »

I just about ran with my dog tonight -- but I'm scared that he'll want to smell the roses and will kill my motivation or run. I don't want to waste the effort -- if he wants to walk, run is over until he's had his fill. And then... will I be in the mood, or sour :?

Just sharing my worries. Maybe one day, after the program, I can try it. But until then, must keep to the code.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Dogs love to chase....so usually you should be fine....mine certainly run along with me - then trot off when I walk. The actually keep me going. I have two though so they keep each other happy.... I have had to disrupt things a little to pull branches off Carson's phone - but luckily it was when I was walking! ;) Good luck with it if you do! Let me know how you get on....
LoeRennt

Post by LoeRennt »

I run with my dachshund! He loves it. He's the reason I started running at all.

He was so happy every time I started running a little bit during his walks, that I started running with him for a bit longer every time and then putting my sports shoes on in the weekends to run for even longer bouts with him. He really starts jumping happily and wagging his tail whenever I speed up a bit :D
Before I knew it, I was taking him for run-walks every weekend. But I was just randomly speeding up every now and then and stopping when I got exhausted (or when..you know..the doggie needed to do his business), but it wasn't doing much for me in terms of getting more endurance for running.

I'm hoping that the Get Running app will help me out with that. Me & Tobi just completed our first official run! :mrgreen:
I wonder if I'll be able to keep it up, but I'm also wondering if he will be able to complete a 5k run in the end. Dachshunds have very short little legs!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Awwww I bet he loved it :) Mine get giddy when I run with them too! It definately helps keep me motivated. I have to walk my dogs anyway so I have to get out there...and if I am i might as well run. Where are you and Tobi based? We are in the UK. Carson doesn't like my early starts but he does love the run. Can Tobi keep up with you ok? lol
LoeRennt

Post by LoeRennt »

We're in the Netherlands!

Tobi is keeping up really well. He's much faster than I am :D I'm just not sure whether he will have the endurance for a very long time though. But I suppose we are training for it together, so he may build up endurance together with me :D

Tomorrow I'm planning on running during his morning walk, and I think Tobi is a bit like Carson! LOL He doesn't like an early start either. (5am is a really early start though, so I don't blame him). He can hardly be bothered to go for his morning walk, let alone a morning run! We'll see what happens.
LoeRennt

Post by LoeRennt »

I chickened out from running at 5am myself :roll: Not because I was too sleepy, but because it's still dark and I decided it just isn't a safe idea for a woman to go run in the dark by herself. (Even if she's with a small & friendly looking dog LOL)

I was actually about to give up altogether but found some inspiration and we went out for our second run today. Run 5 and 6 were terribly difficult, but Tobi pulled me during those ones. Bless his little paws! Run 7 and 8 went brilliantly again. So the doggie saved the day!
He really loves it so much. He was wagging his little tail all the way!

We're most likely heading out on friday again. The weather is wonderful at the moment. Spring is such a lovely time to be outside :)
Kiki

Post by Kiki »

I started the programme two weeks ago. I've found that the first three runs at the beginning of each run cycle are the worse and at those moments all I can think is 'who's stupid idea was this anyway!' My dog is my 'running buddy' she is so full of bounce and energy that she just gives me that extra little push I need to keep me going to the end, so much so that I could not imagine running without her :)