Hittting a brick wall???

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Eims

Hittting a brick wall???

Post by Eims »

Hi,

Im looking for some advice if anyone has any! I've had asthma since I was a child, and have never really been able to run for any length of time. A few months ago I thought 'enough is enough' and decided to get fit. I downloaded this app and started jogging! I absolutely love it, and have shocked myself at how well I have been able to jog (no point saying run, really Im not much faster than power walking!!). However, this week I started week 6 and I think I may have hit a serious wall! I really want to stick with it (Ive lost weight and feel much fitter) but I am struggling so much with the runs now. Has anyone else had this? I did the dreaded wk5r3 20 minute jog last week and it was tough but I managed it, but now even the 8 minute one with a break is a struggle!! Anyone any advice on what I should do? I don't want to quit, but not sure if I will be able to do the wk6r3 25 min run tomorrow like Im supposed to do!!

Thanks! :) :)
benjohn

Re: Hittting a brick wall???

Post by benjohn »

A few thoughts from me…

You're doing superbly, particularly given you're running on top of asthma.

Something I often want to change with Get Running is the idea of a 9 week plan. In some ways it's great because it's a concrete goal (jogging for 30 minutes) in a concrete time frame (9 weeks). The down side is that it makes people start thinking that if that's not exactly what they do, then they've failed, and they should give up. I'd like it if the App could reach out more and say:

"Listen – you're doing something brilliant. Even after week one you're in a way better place than you were before you started. If you want to run for further, that's wonderful, but if you enjoy running for three lots of five minutes, that's also awesome. If you want to build up more, let it happen. For some people it might be quick, and for others it might take a bit longer."

The App doesn't say that, so that's what these forums are for :-)

I was reading a post on Runnerworld a few days ago. A columnists was responding to a letter and saying that plenty of runners will run for a few minutes and then take a walk, and then run again.

Something else that it takes a while to get is that lots of things influence how much you enjoy a run, and how able you are to run. I had a fabulous run last night, but every run I did last week was pretty rubbish. As you run more you'll find factors that have an influence, but at times it will still seem pretty random and unfair.

So, the summary…

Go easy on your self and be proud of what you can do. If you want to do more, you'll get there. Feel free to dial back to one of the easier runs from last week and do that for a while longer.

One final thought – I think people are often emboldened by their success in the 20 minute (and rightly so), and tend to then pick up their pace in the following week. They don't notice that they're pushing themselves harder and wonder why the running feels difficult, even though it's just shorter runs.

Okay – I'm done :-) Please keep on going, and I hope you enjoy your next run, how ever long you decide to run for!
Mcarbonar

Post by Mcarbonar »

read somewhere just keep putting one foot in front of the other and on almost every run I have thought of that and that is what I do. I am on my last week and start my 30 minute runs in 2 days! It has been hard these last couple weeks but I am determined. Trust me if I can do it you can too!!
Eims

Post by Eims »

Thanks everyone for your replies! Between this post and reading others on the forum, it seems I am certainly not the only person to find this tough!! :) So I took your advice Benjohn, went a bit easier on myself, gave myself a few days off, slowed my pace A LOT (you may have a point about speeding up after the initial 20 min run!), and I'm delighted to report I did the 25 min run last night with (relative) ease!! I even managed to forget I was running at one point! :lol: :lol: Also managed to squeeze in a brisk 50 min walk with a friend after it! :) So suffice to say I'm kinda pleased, I was just about to throw in the towel, thanks for the comments, this forum is fantastic for support!

Bring on 28 mins run till I kick it's ass!! :lol:
Eims

Post by Eims »

Mcarbonar wrote:read somewhere just keep putting one foot in front of the other and on almost every run I have thought of that and that is what I do. I am on my last week and start my 30 minute runs in 2 days! It has been hard these last couple weeks but I am determined. Trust me if I can do it you can too!!
Well done getting as far as the last week!! Thats a great achievement in anyones book!! And I like the bit about just putting one foot in front of the other, I may use that on the guaranteed tough runs I have from now on! :). Very best of luck with the final 30 min run!
Last edited by Eims on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
masands

Post by masands »

Hi Eims
I totally understand what you feel. I finished my week 6 run 2 today and my God I felt as tired as I did in week one! Not even with the 20 minute run I came close to feeling this tired! I have no idea what is happening but thankfully I'm not alone :) .
I'm sure its just the exertion from week 5. We will just have to get over it and keep in mind how well we already have done. Trust me, in my first week, run 1, 4th minute I puked on the side of the road 'cause I was so tired :D ... and then I finished the 20 min run non stop last week which felt just amazing!
I'm sure we can do the 25 min run, the 28 min run and the 30 min in the next few weeks no problems

Good luck soldier!
Eims

Post by Eims »

Hi masands

It's great to see there is someone who is on the same week as me, and feeling just as crap as I was! I took the advice of the above posts and slowed my pace way down for my 25 min run on Monday evening, and amazed that I could do the run with pretty much ease! I think the programme builds up your stamina slowly so you don't notice but if you slow down the pace it seems to help for the longer runs! I really enjoyed my last run (aside from some calf pain/burning) and can't wait for the next one tomorrow! I'm only hoping my body isn't lulling me into a false sence of security...!!!! :) :)
Best of luck with your next run and keep me informed of how you are doing!
Eims
masands

Post by masands »

Hi Eims
Congrats on the 25 minute run :)
I had my 25 minute run today and...I failed miserably :(
For some reason my legs would not co-operate and gave away after the 12 minute mark and I walked the rest. This is weird and I cannot understand what is happening. I feel a strong sensation of burning in both legs which could be shoe related but I didn't have any such probs during the 20 minute run. Also I was sweating huge amounts and my t-shirt was soaked. Once again unusual, as it did not happen during the 20 min run.
I tried running slower. Didn't work. I feel quite bad but I'm going to keep trying until I do it.
Good luck to me!
Eims

Post by Eims »

Hi Masands

Well done for attempting the run, it really is not that easy! I did my 2nd 25 min last night and really found it tough....I was literally counting down the seconds, and was very close to tears if Im totally honest! I imagine it must have been quite disheartinging for you to have to end the run, but at least you say you will keep going....thats definilty the attitude to have!! I certainly dont claim to be ANY type of an expert in any shape or form, but I found that the runners/trainers I wear make a huge difference.....I was using reebok runners in the past, but my legs hurt like hell! I have now moved to Asics Gel runners and they seemed to make a huge difference, gives that extra little boost...and as they say 'every little helps'!! Best of luck with the run, I hope you do try again and that you can complete it, after the exhaustion and the wheezing, its a great feeling when you finish! : :lol: :lol:

Very best of luck

Eims
starbuckmoxie

Post by starbuckmoxie »

If it makes you feel better, I think I'm in about the same place as you in my runs, and I've hit the same wall. Unfortunately, I don't really have any good advice. I've tried slowing down - to the point where people who are walking go past me - but that doesn't do any good. I've tried eating first, not eating, running in the morning, running in the evening, altering my route so there are no hills, etc. Nothing works. I think the only thing that would make it easier would be to have walking breaks in the middle, which kind of defeats the purpose. ;)

But you are not alone. I'm torturing myself right along with you! Maybe there will be some magic point when we get to 28 minutes where we feel like, oh yeah - that's more like it! I keep telling myself so, anyway. :)