Couch potato starts the plan

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
IanK

Couch potato starts the plan

Post by IanK »

I'm a 32year old 20 stone smoker who is so seriously unfit that last seasons attempt at returning to rugby union left me looking for any excuse not to play.
I have a weak ankle that causes me some serious jip at times, and in fairness that's been an excuse too, but with smoking cessation starting next week, discovering this plan could be the saving grace I've needed.
I completed run1 with no real trouble and the dog on the lead, strapped the ankle up and loved it.
I love the structure and the countdowns. I took my day off with great reluctance, but the aching calfs are now recovered and it's time for run 2. I've been looking forward to it all day!
IanK

Re: Couch potato starts the plan

Post by IanK »

Run done and boy was that tough... Much tougher than day 1 considering it was the same schedule. Sore calfs again and painful shins when running. I'm also getting odd pains in my left heal, which is odd as it's my right ankle that causes me grief. Maybe I'm nor stretching enough pre run. Did it though according to the plan and fully, so it's only day 2 I feel really good.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Ian,

Glad it's going well for you :-)

With your shins and other pains – have you got yourself a pair of running shoes that correct any gait problems you might have? It's definitely worth checking out that option if your discomfort continues. A number of other users went to running shops and got their gait analysed, and then bought shoes based on this. All of them have reported that the result is like magic in terms of the increase in comfort. It needn't be expensive (although it's not going to be the cheapest option): a shop should usually be able to suggest several models that will suit you at a range of prices. They'll often even provide "money back if you're not happy with them after a fortnight of running" type guarantee too!

Other things are to make sure you're really well warmed up – you could take a longer walk at the start. Make sure you're doing plenty of stretching. If you've particularly tight legs, it might be a few weeks before you start to loosen up. If you continue having problems I would suggest stopping with running for a few weeks, and just doing intense walks of the same length, and with the same stretches before and after.

Also, you can use R.I.C.E. treatment on painful shins – it will help them heal and it'll take away some of the discomfort, so it's worth doing.

Good stuff indeed! Well done :-)
universalerror

Post by universalerror »

Woohoo! W1R2 complete! Had to slow down as run one killed my quads :). Feeling better today though :)
IanK

Post by IanK »

Changed trainers and tonights run was much better, no heal pain, no ankle pain. I even left myself with a 7 minute cool down walk home, so managed to add an additional run in there, 90 seconds in preparation for next week. I am also really pleased with the distances I am covering.

Did a good warm down and am so much happier with the residual stiffness.

I love this plan, and providing I make it to am 5 am looking forward to the 20 minute challenge, from there in it seems like the results will be clear, so bring it on!!!
Jog-on

Post by Jog-on »

To IanK,
Good for you mate I'm 27 and a big guy about your size too. Glad i'm not the only ex couch potato on here. I've just started week 3 it's tough sometimes but worth it, and since getting started I've been looking forward to the 20 mins in week five. Keep up the good work buddy and good luck with the stopping smoking too I know from experience how hard that can be.
IanK

Post by IanK »

I felt like I was dying on w2r1 tonight, but didn't back down. I feel like the two day break was too much, but in C25K we trust!

I must be making progress though because the distance is stretching. I know there was an additional 30 secs today, but I seemed to run a lot further. I've added a tracking app for the rest of the runs, so progress in terms of distance should be clearer.

I've even been inspired to write this http://www.twoplustwoplusone.blogspot.com
IanK

Post by IanK »

W2r2 done. The early stages were horrible, but it got easier. To anyone just starting, stick with it, it gets better. Looking forward to r3 and then w3!