So chuffed with this app

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
daviesap

So chuffed with this app

Post by daviesap »

Can't believe I have just finished W4R2. I have been meaning to "Get Running" for literally years but finally this app has done it for me!

Really really enjoying it. Funny things is, straight after my runs I am thinking about the next one and can't wait for it!

Haven't struggled majorly yet. Each time the training steps up I worry incase I can't complete it - but I do. Not easily, but I do get through it.

Couple of questions

- I'm rather overweight. BMI of 29.5 so almost obese! I haven't lost a pound yet though. I assume that's because it is such a gradual start. Any idea when I can expect to lose a pound or two??
- I'm skipping the 2 day rests once a week and running every other day (today was an excepion, but I flew into New York a couple of days ago and have only slept about 2 hours in the last 76!). Is that ok to do??

Thanks to the makers of this app and training programme!

Andrew
starknut

Re: So chuffed with this app

Post by starknut »

As far as weight loss, I have been running for more than a year and any weight loss I've experienced has been coincidental. I weigh pretty much the same as when I started. However, I have gone down four pants sizes and had to be fitted for new bras in that same amount of time. I've obviously toned up a bit, enough that even our maintenance team in the neighborhood has noticed - one of them came over to fix our floor and asked me what I'd done to slim down.
Digbycat

Post by Digbycat »

Hi Andrew

Well done on getting this far.

Don't underestimate the power of rest days

http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2012/ ... unEveryday

Not sure if that will work but it's a link to an article originally linked by Benjon on here that is really good.

As for the weight loss. I have lost weight my BMI is now roughly the same as yours but it's been odd I find I'll lose bulk, everything feels looser then all of a sudden the weight will drop off. I haven't been dieting as such but I have been watching that I don't overdo my daily needs. I've lost just over 2 stone.
NicAshley

Post by NicAshley »

I keep wanting to hit the "like" button reading yours and everyone's posts :)

I have lost some weight but I think that's down to weight watchers which I started after the running. Before that I wasn't getting much joy from the scales but clothes were definitely fitting better.

Good luck with the rest of the programme :)
daviesap

Post by daviesap »

Hi

Had to have a week off due to work. Was working crazy hours and it most certainly wasn't through lack of motivation!

In fact I ran W5R1 on Monday and W5R2 Tuesday I was so keen to get into it! This is the guy who took about 3 years just to get going!

But tomorrow's 20 minute run looks a little daunting. Seems like a big leap from 8 minutes.

Will give it a go and see how I get on. Can't go in the morning as I have to leave early tomorrow so will to either tomorrow night or the next morning.

Any tips anyone?? 20 minutes???!!!!
starknut

Post by starknut »

The biggest tip I can give is this: don't look at it as OMG 20 minutes! Just run for five minutes. Just five minutes. And then another five. You can do that. Then another five. Then the final five. Don't view it as a whole. 20 minutes feels overwhelming. Take it in five minute blocks. You can run five minutes.

I managed a whole hour of running with that little trick once. It really works!
daviesap

Post by daviesap »

I did it!

Took your advice and broke it down into 5 minute chunks.

Oddly, the first 5 mins were the hardest - even though I'd spent longer than normal warming up.

Next run looks like a walk in the park now!!

Thanks again for the advice.

Andrew
daviesap

Post by daviesap »

Wow!!!!!!

Just done the 25 minute run of W6R3 and I feel fab!

I could have kept going even!! Felt a huge sense of pride when the app told me I could stop running. I slowed down gradually.

Loving it - even my wife said today whilst we were at my brothers house that I was looking good and slimmer! She doesn't give out compliments easily so it must be working!!