Hmmm, W2 R1!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Hostiemostie

Hmmm, W2 R1!!

Post by Hostiemostie »

So, after coming back to "get running" after a long time off, I must say, I've been really enjoying it so far. The minute runs in W1 were easier than expected and so I was really looking forward to this mornings' W2R1.
I strolled out this morning with determination and motivation to get a good run in before work so (in the words of my get running coach) I'd "feel great for the rest of the day".
So, W2 is 6 x minute and a half runs with 2 minute rests inbetween........... easy I thought.

Run 1.......horrendous!! My legs were like bricks and it literally felt like I was jogging on the spot at times.
Run 2.......I slowed this one down to what can only be described as a slow plod, which made it more bearable, but I'm sure I saw a few mums with push chairs walking faster!
Run 3...... At this point I was wishing it all to end. Sounds dramatic, but my legs just weren't working as they should, my lungs felt like they were trying to escape through my rib cage and at the half way point I was thinking of calling it a day!

However, I then remembered some tips that I'd read on the forum yesterday, for instance, listen to the music instead of concentrating on your running, tell yourself you can do it, look up and ahead!

Run 4......... I was off, a comfortable jog that I honestly didn't even notice was halfway up until she told me I had 15 secs left!
Run 5..........Similar to run 4, quite comfortable and almost leisurely (never thought I'd say that when talking about exercise)
Run 6........ Waved cheerily to a bloke I know as I jogged along, concentrated on the music and eventually completed W2R1 feeling pretty good about it. I even managed to have a conversation with a neighbour during the cool down instead of panting and rasping for breath!!

It just goes to show the strength this forum holds. I know it's not an amazing feat (I've not climbed Everest) but for today I've achieved something with the unknowing help of strangers who everyday write about their struggles, goals, efforts and achievements whilst lending free advice and support!

Thanks to you all, W2R1 is done and I can't wait for Friday!!
Digbycat

Re: Hmmm, W2 R1!!

Post by Digbycat »

Well done I always find the first 10 minutes the worst while your body is getting used to it and those speedy mums with their racing pushchairs are a nuisance they beat me every time :).

Enjoy Fridays run :) xx
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Hi Hostiemostie,

Your story sounds very similar to how I was feeling in the beginning! The first few intervals were terrible and I really didn't think that I could make it until the end of the exercise, but each interval got easier and I was 'sprinting' a bit at the end of the last interval always. Now I am in week 8 and somehow the first 10 minutes are still the most difficult ones.

Happy running!
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Well done! I always feel terrible for the first few intervals - actually the one just after halfway is my personal nemesis - but by the very end I'm going like the clappers. I really think it picks up as you go along - but the motivation tips on this forum have been invaluable for me too. I really think that believing you can do it is the most important thing!
Hostiemostie

Post by Hostiemostie »

Thanks everyone, I've just completed W2 and, I must admit, R3 was really enjoyable!! It felt so easy, I kept pushing myself and actually sprinted some of the 5th interval!!!

I can't wait for W3 now, I'm actually missing running on my rest days!!

Good luck to you all.