Very sore calf

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Frankie22

Very sore calf

Post by Frankie22 »

Hi everyone,
Just wanted some advice ive been on my 2nd run tonight and whilst running i developed an aching pain in my calf. Im enjoying it so much and i feel so good. Its just that it was a struggle carrying on and i would like to know what it is. Any help would be really helpful thanks :-)
violabird

Re: Very sore calf

Post by violabird »

Sounds like normal muscle pain to me - I've had aching legs the whole way through, just because I'm using muscles I haven't used for years! I also had pain particularly in my left calf muscle, and asked sone advice of my brother (who's a serious runner). He advised me to try altering my breathing patterns so that I breathe in on a different leg each time, (try breathing in for 3 steps, out for 4 steps or in for 2, out for 3 etc). It's tricky to get the hang of, but I've found it makes a huge difference to the pain I had in that leg.

If it's muscle ache, that may help, but if it's a sharp pain then be careful, as it could be an injury that needs attention.

Hope that helps a little; I'm not an expert, just drawing on my experience!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Heh – I've been doing your breathing thing for my last few runs, and I think it's helped me too :-)

All you need to make sure is that there is a different of 1 between your in and out breaths. That way you're always swapping which leg starts a particular breath cycle.

Thanks for the tip!
Frankie22

Post by Frankie22 »

Hey guys thanks for the tip going really well
violabird

Post by violabird »

Glad it worked for others too, I made such a breakthrough when I tried it!

Just recovering from an injury to my foot, (not related to running) then I'll get out there again, very frustrated as I only had one run left of the program when I had to stop!