WOW....... That was tough!!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Toadie

Re: WOW....... That was tough!!!

Post by Toadie »

Dixie, I'm heading to the doctor anyway next week so I will get it checked out, but I honestly just think it was the cold air in my lungs!

Missbossie, you are so right, we can do it and who cares what anyone thinks! I run like a slug but who cares. I'm so proud of us all for doing 5 minutes, that's a huge milestone, and week 5 will be an even bigger challenge, but we can totally do it! I can't wait til I can run for half an hour, I really want to go and do my local parkrun with my boyfriend :D
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

W5r1 done, and was actually pretty easy after all the 5 minute runs last week! I went quite a bit faster this time and enjoyed feeling better about my pace. I can't believe that running for five minutes felt completely impossible last week and now it's easy! :D :D Hopefully 8 minutes shouldn't be tooooo bad on Tuesday, but the 20 minute run still sounds like some kind of sick joke at the moment...
Hostiemostie

Still plodding along.....

Post by Hostiemostie »

Hi all,

So.......I haven't run in 9 days as I've been laid up in bed with a cold!! Nightmare!!

After doing so well and making really good progress, I've finally managed to get back out there and redo W3R3 as I thought it'd be better go back a bit to take it easy instead of pushing myself to finish W4 when I'm not back to my full fitness.

It was surprisingly very easy!! And I'm proud of myself for making myself put my trainers on and go and do it. I'm a little bit disappointed that I've had to go back a stage, but I'm back in the saddle (as they say) and determined once again.

Miss bossie, your last post really made me chuckle and cheered me up!!

Well done to you all in your W4 and W5 runs, keep up the good work. Xx
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Oh no, poor you! Are you feeling better now? I had to go back a week too, early on, when I was ill - I had to repeat week 2 and go from there. By the end of it I was so sick of the intervals! But I'm glad I did it because I think it's given me a really solid fitness foundation and stopped me from pushing too hard.

Did w5r2 this morning, and it was fine, though now there's nothing in between me and the 20 minuter to distract me! Going to tackle it on Friday morning, eep...
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Good grief Toadie! That's surreal!! Not only did I do W5 R2 this morning too (we probably did it at the same time :lol: ) but I am also due to do the '20 minuter' (or at least attempt) on Friday morning too. AND, to add to that, I had to laugh when I read your comment about the 20 mins seeming like some kind of "sick joke" because those are the exact words I used when telling my husband about the next run! Weird....... Well, maybe we should synchronise watches for Friday.......... :D

Sorry to hear you have not been well Hostiemostie :( Hope you are now fully recovered. Like Toadie says, don't be down hearted about having to repeat a week - it's great that you have managed to get yourself back on track again. I had to repeat a couple of runs on one week (week 3 I think) and, although I was fed up about having to do it, in the end it turned out it really built my confidence.

Keep going everyone!! :D
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Dixie that's crazy! I was meant to do w5r2 on Tuesday but it was raining so hard that I gave it a miss. I'll be out at 7am on Friday... earlier than usual so I can avoid too many people seeing me looking even more like a puffed-out tomato than I normally do. We can report back here when we're done! I am a bit worried that I won't manage it - it just seems like SO much longer than 8 minutes. I'm going to make a whole new playlist to listen to while I do it, though, to try to keep it fun and interesting. Argh! :shock:
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Ha ha - I have a great image of you and, I have to say, it sounds not too dissimilar to myself! :lol:

Wow - 7am! :shock: That's normally the time that I am lying in bed, psyching myself up! So, I could be a little behind you..... Are you in UK i.e. same time as me??

I am with you on the 'worry front'....... It does seem like a big jump. But then, I keep telling myself, if I can manage the fast 5 min walk that I did between the two lots of 8min runs this morning,then asking my body to move just a tad faster than a walk through that middle bit has to be achievable?! :|

I have to say, I was also thinking my playlist needed some tweaking! Not enough motivational tracks!

Good luck! I will let you know how I did!
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Good luck to all of you! It's really just a mind game, you'll be surprised tomorrow how 'natural' it will be to not stop (I will run W9R3 tomorrow, even though I couldn't run more than a minute just 2.5 months ago)!

Have fun and don't forget to clap to yourself at the end of the run, as it's an amazing achievement! :D
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Thanks so much guys! Did it today and it was AWESOME! So glad that you did it too Dixie!

Yes I'm in Edinburgh, so 7am feels pretty damn early, especially now the mornings are getting so dark! But I'm always knackered after work so I have to get it in before I head off in the mornings. Actually funnily enough my run was more like 7.30am today because I kept wanting to stay in bed just that little bit longer to put it off...

lizmizje, you were so right about it being a mind game, and after a while it did sort of feel like I could keep pootling on almost indefinitely. Congratulations on finishing week 9! That's a massive achievement.

Changing my playlist helped a lot! I could kid myself into thinking I was just listening to some nice music, not doing anything silly like running at all... :lol:
Hostiemostie

W4R1............Again!!!!!

Post by Hostiemostie »

Morning All,

So, due to this horrible cold, I've had to go back a week and today I ran W4R1 again..........it was so hard!!! The last 5 minutes I was actually begging Claire to tell me I only had 10secs left, it was complete torture. I very nearly gave up.
I'm not sure whether its because I'm still a little bit sniffly from the cold I had, and besides, it was raining.
I'm going to use that as my excuse and hit R2 head on on Sunday.
I used run keeper too for the first time today and it was nice to see how many calories I'd burnt off and how fast I'd run.

I suppose the good thing is as soon as you stop running and get your breathe back you forget how hard it was and so it doesn't put me off as much as it used to in W2.
Also, I reminded myself that I can now run 5 times longer then I could in W1 and 3 times longer than in W2....... :)

Huge congratulations Toadie and Dixie, you must be so proud of yourselves, I can't wait to get to where you are. Xxx