WOW....... That was tough!!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Hostiemostie

WOW....... That was tough!!!

Post by Hostiemostie »

Just done W3R1 and what a difference compared to last week!!

Last weeks final run was so easy, I felt like I was flying along, and then today, this mornings run was torture!
The first 3 minute run was awful. My poor lungs were trying to beat their way out of my chest whilst my legs were desperately trying to buckle under me. I felt dizzy before the halfway point, however, I managed to complete all runs without stopping, but had to jog much slower than usual.

Feel a bit defeated and not looking forward to the next run as much as I usually do. :(
Toadie

Re: WOW....... That was tough!!!

Post by Toadie »

Oh no, that run's my next one! I am dreading it a bit. But WELL DONE for completing it without stopping! It is meant to be a challenge, after all, so it was never going to be easy - but you nailed it. Congratulations! (We'll see what I'll be saying in a few days' time...)
Digbycat

Post by Digbycat »

I looked back over my run stats earlier today - just curious to see what had changed. My run speed is on average a 2 minute mile slower than those 1 minute bursts of week 1. But my average continuous speed across the 40 mins (I'm on week 8) is 2 minutes a mile faster and today I actually did 5k - walked a bit as I set off too fast but I was so chuffed.

What this app is doing as well as building our stamina is teaching us how to set our pace so we can keep going and I've read many times that the single biggest mistake beginner runners make is starting off too fast.

Well done for keeping going.
Hostiemostie

Post by Hostiemostie »

Ok, so just completed W3R2 and I must say it was (only very slightly) easier.

My legs held out, as did my lungs and there was no dizziness, so that's an improvement. I started slower so maybe that helped, and I've decided that I'll try my hardest to complete all the runs, no matter what speed, as long as I'm jogging, I can always work on speed later.

Not quite looking forward to Monday's run, but I don't feel as defeated as I did after W3R1.

Oh well.......onwards and upwards.
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Well done! Look on the bright side - you've completed it both times, which is a pretty huge achievement. And nobody ever said it was going to be easy...! I start week 3 tomorrow, feeling pretty nervous...
Missbossie

Post by Missbossie »

Hi hostimosti, good to read this struggle, thanks for sharing. I feel terrible today after W2R3: I feel all my muscles in my frontside thighs and calves, this was so slow and awfull but i completed my time. I think I have been running way too fast this week and got punished now. I was running like a heavy duck, a small elephant, really hopeless, but all I could think about is I had to keep moving in some way during the time indicated. Even the " brisk" walking was absolutely stupidly slow, while normal walking is a natural thing to me. I look forward to reading about your W3 completed, you will be my guiding light for this W3. Keep going!!!
Digbycat

Post by Digbycat »

Well done both of you it's so great to read the struggle paying off.

Are you running a distance speed app alongside the get running one - I can heartily recommend it, whenever I've had a rubbish run there has always been a speed or distance positive to counteract it.
Hostiemostie

Post by Hostiemostie »

Well......... I've just come in from W3R3 and I must say I'm extremely proud of myself!!

I've felt awful today (the result of a very heavy weekend!!). I felt slow, lethargic, bloated, generally run down and to be quite honest I've been talking myself out of running all day, trying to work out when I could do todays run again so as to not screw my progress up too much.

I've been out all day, but rather then getting in and curling up on the sofa (my ideal plan for the evening), I walked in the door, dumped the shopping bags and got straight into my jogging gear and out the door I went. The run itself was surprisingly a bit easier than my runs have been throughout the week, I had to stop during a walk and stretch my legs but other than that I managed all runs without feeling like I was going to die! I can't say it was pleasurable but it has made me feel better about W4, however I'm slightly edgy about a full 5 minute run!!!!

Hope you're all doing well and good luck.
Missbossie

Post by Missbossie »

Digbycat wrote:Well done both of you it's so great to read the struggle paying off.

Are you running a distance speed app alongside the get running one - I can heartily recommend it, whenever I've had a rubbish run there has always been a speed or distance positive to counteract it.
Thanks so much. :-). I guessed right: I have been running too fast. So now W3r1 at a slower pace and it went just fine. Had my breathing reasonably under control , a nice sweat, only the thight muscles and left knee were a bit " present". This weekend I replaced my standard sportshoes for nee running shoes with gel base. It felt very good. Which app do you advice for distance/ speed??
Digbycat

Post by Digbycat »

I use RunKeeper which is great it gives a speed graph and does a calorie count too.

My run this morn was rubbish I couldn't keep going w9r2 but the RunKeeper sent me a fastest speed record email when I'd finished which was why I struggled. :)

Xx