Go me! :)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Dixie

Go me! :)

Post by Dixie »

Feeling pretty chuffed! Last time I posted (under 'W3 And I thought things were going so well...') I had just completed W3 and was thinking about repeating a couple of the W3 runs as the final run had felt pretty tough and I wanted to build my confidence. Anyway, I did one repeat of a W3 run and definitely found it a little easier and, because it made the week finish 'neatly' (it was a Friday and I could follow with the 2 day rest period) I completed a second repeat run of a W3 run and it went brilliantly! Right from the second run, I just knew for certain that I could do it. There was no doubt in my mind and in fact I felt I could run a little further (which I didn't!).

So, today was my first run of W4. Having found achieving the 3 minute runs of last week pretty tough, I was a little anxious. However, there was no need! :) As I finished my 5 min warm up walk, I was feeling a little concerned as I didn't feel 100%, however, as I got into the first 3 min run, I found it easy. I am reluctant to use the word 'easy' (don't want to sound too full of myself) but it was! This gave me a real boost as I went into the 5 min run and, although it was not easy, I just felt that I knew I could achieve it. By the end of the last 5 min run, my legs were feeling pretty heavy but I did it! :D So pleased! I should add however, I ran ALL the runs at a slow jog as opposed to a run........... However, I feel if I can just achieve some stamina, I can work on speed later.

So - feeling confident about the rest of this W4 but find it very hard to imagine running the 20 mins that is expected of me in less than two weeks................ :? still, I will worry about that later. One day at a time....
Toadie

Re: Go me! :)

Post by Toadie »

Yaaaaay, well done! I'm terrified of the 20 minute run next week now too, it just seems so soon! Hopefully by then we'll be able to do it though... I do have faith in this app, and after all, others have managed it before us!
Dutch running girl

Post by Dutch running girl »

Hi dixie, great to read your first run in week 4 went Ok. I'm dreading to do it tomorrow, especially because the walking intervals seem so short! I'll probably manage to do it as long as I dont go too fast. Also i'm trying runkeeper for the first time tomorrow, as I have read some positive things about it on this forum..
Thanx again for your post, happy runnings everyone!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well, R2 of W4 completed this morning. It felt harder than R1 on Monday but maybe I wasn't quite so 'up for it' this morning. Definitely had to 'hang in there' a bit at the end of the last 5 minute run but I made it. :)

Dutch running girl - how did your run go yesterday??
Missbossie

Post by Missbossie »

Good on you Dixie!! Stop thinking about how long you are going to run, just move and wait for Claire 's kind voice. In the past I had a tremendous dislike for running and I kept looking at my watch ; " when is this voing to end?"
Now with this app I turn on the music and just surrender to Claire. She knows I can do it, that is how the app is made out to be. So I don't stress any longer if I am going to make it, just keep moving untill she tells me otherwise.
Probably one of the rare moments in my life that I am obedient, hahaha.
Just don't think at all while running, just enjoy your music , the surroundings, moving, being alive. Actually when I do my final stredges I often see my hedgehog friends and I photograph them. Put these silly photo's on my FB and so I get unwined from a too stressfull day. I feel gratefull
Take care greetz Anne-Marie
Dutch running girl

I went out on tuesday and did my run on the beach. There was quite a bit of wind so that made it harder.. It went how I expected... I managed, but it was in no way easy. Felt pretty good afterwards, as always ofcourse.. Bad case of shin splints however. I went to the gym this morning to do W4R2, but I forgot to bring socks... As I didn't want to add blisters to my long list of selfpity and whining, I did some powerlifting instead of running the treadmill. So, tomorrow I will go out for the second run.. Wish me luck. Bye!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Dutch runnng girl - on the beach! Sounds lovely but also sounds tough! Isn't it difficult, with your feet sinking into the sand? How did your R2 run go?

I am feeling happy as I managed the two 8 minute runs in W5 R2 this morning. :D However, the non stop 20 mins I am supposed to be doing on Friday seems a little daunting, to say the least! :?
Dutch running girl

No its not hard as long as you run alongside where the waves break, your feet wont sink into the sand. The hard thing is being completely open to the elements, the wind especially.. But it's nice and it makes me feel like I'm one with nature.. tomorrow is my 3x5 minutes run, so i'm right behind you. And yes, the 20 minute run seems very daunting! Don't want to think about it, actually. Good luck to you!
Blondebexwants2run

Post by Blondebexwants2run »

Dixie, i just replied to your post when you were on the week 3 still! Missed this post completely! Well done on continuing! Sounds like your doing great! Good luck on 'the big 20' on Friday! I'm looking forqard to writing posts for when i am running week 5! I should be on that one this week really! I feel so behind! :-(
As they say, slow build up is the best cause of action! I've signed myself up to do a 5k fun run on december 1st so i have to do this and i have to get through!
Anyway let us know how you get on tomorrow! Cant wait to hear about it!:-)
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hurrah!!! :D Did it!! :D Non stop 20 mins! 22 mins in fact because I thought 'might as well carry on to the end of the path!'.

It is DEFINITELY a mental thing - after the 5 min warm up I thought 'not sure I am up for this today' - after the first 5 mins of running I thought 'God, only 5 mins in! Oh well, if I have to walk for 10 secs or so here and there, so be it'. It felt tough but I kept going. After 10mins in I was thinking 'actually, I am quite comfortable - I think I can do this!'. Towards 15 mins it was getting quite hard going. I was in a field of cut grass and it was heavy going on the legs, so I changed route and continued on a stone path. Then, when the lady (Sarah is it??) told me I only had 5 more mins I thought 'I know I can do this!'. I thought, I just need to keep going for two more tracks (or just under) on my iphone. Then, when I was told that 20 mins was up and I had made it, I thought 'I feel fine - I could run for longer!'. I only ran for another 2 mins because I did not want to overdo it but it definitely shows to me (having thought I might not make it after only 5 mins into the run) that it is definitely a mental thing.

Not sure about 25 mins everyday though in about 10 days.............. :lol:

Blondebexwants2run - don't worry about being behind! It's not a race - the important thing is that you have kept going. I think it is fantastic that you have signed yourself up for a run! It's a great idea and will be really motivational. I think I might do likewise. Good luck and keep going! :D