New and desperately unfit hello and diary :)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Mummyrita

Re: New and desperately unfit but hello :)

Post by Mummyrita »

Hi and well done for giving this a go! At the front end of the program, it seems like such a huge unattainable goal, but you'll be there before you know it. I completed the program about 6 weeks ago - I have run in the past but never like this. I did w8r2 with my neighbour this morning - we started the app together but she has taken it more slowly :). She has NEVER run, and snorted in derision when I suggested it at the start of this year. But today we ran 28 minutes, and she said she felt great.

Running is such a great feeling - once you get in the zone it is actually fun, and rhetoric energy you get from it is amazing!

I have lost 10kg in the last 3 months - simply by running, and cutting out sugar from my diet. I have never had so much success, or stuck at something for so long. Now everyone comments on how great I look - yet it's nothing to how great I feel. To have energy again, be able to walk up my street without puffing - it's so worth it.

All the best! One tip - find someone on here at the same stage you are, and hold each other accountable for the runs - it worked really well for me.
LinP

Post by LinP »

Thanks so much for the replies ladies :)

I did ho shoe shopping. Had a gait analysis and have some Brooks running shoes which do feel good on my very flat feet!

I've ordered earphones which won't fall out wile running..
I've made a playlist for running...

The only thing stopping me is I have a blister on my heel right where my shoes will touch from a pair of heels I wore on Saturday.

Don't know whether to chance it and just run (let's face it, mostly walk lol).

I'm thinking Friday. It's when my youngest is next at preschool and fingers crossed my heel will have healed (its really sore).

I'm getting more nervous but more excited too.

Would love to have a 'buddy' new starter on here if you're still on the blocks like me!
X
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Looks like Cazrich42 is starting at the same time as you LinP! It's nice to have people at the same stage :)

And I have Brooks running shoes too, love them!
LinP

Post by LinP »

I've just done W1R1!

I bought the running clothes I needed yesterday so today I knew I had to get this run done because the longer I went on trying to prepare, the more I was worrying about not completing it and wondering how many times I would have to do the first run before I'd be able to complete it.

Well, I finished it. In fact, on the last run I carried on for another half a minute. I actually still had something left!

It was raining and 9 degrees. I ran by the river and it was mulchy but fine. I felt knackered at a few points about half way through but the music and the fact that it was small runs really made me feel like I would cope.

My shoes are so comfortable. I was worried about that but they felt great. I thought I'd be cold. I wore a waterproof jacket, a zip up fleece and a t shirt. I was really warm and grateful for the rain :)

I know it's only the first week and there's so much still to come and it's going to get hard but I feel totally chuffed that I did this. Thanks all of you for the inspiration :)

How are you doing Caz?
Toadie

Re: New and desperately unfit hello and diary :)

Post by Toadie »

Well done LinP! You've done the hardest part already - getting out there and getting started! Glad you enjoyed it. Good luck with your next run!
Cazrich42

Post by Cazrich42 »

Hey, very well done to you LinP !! It makes you feel that you wish you'd started before doesn't it? I'm only 2 runs ahead of you so it's great to have some company :D I head out for wk2 run 1 in the morning. I can't say that I have found it easy BUT I feel very confident that it will be do-able. It does give you a good feeling through the day and has boosted my mood and self esteem. Good luck with run 2 and let me know how it goes
LinP

Post by LinP »

Caz that's how I felt. It wasnt easy at all but I almost cried when I got to the 8th run and I knew I was going to finish. Just really emotional lol.

Caz how were the second and third runs after that first one? We're they easier?

I'm out tomorrow morning too. Best of luck with W2R1! Can't wait to hear what that's like!

Lin x
LinP

Post by LinP »

Well that's W1R2 done :)

My legs felt very slightly sore still from Saturdays run so I expected it to be harder today. I think it was actually veeeeeery slightly easier but still a real effort on runs 7 and 8. It really did fly by though. Far more quickly than the first run. A few real runners went past me and I did feel a bit of a turnip when I was walking along and still puffing a bit from the last run which they probably hadn't seen me do so I felt a bit stupid but we've all got to start somewhere :D

Oh and my arms feel like they've done some work but surely they haven't really?

Lin x
Cazrich42

Post by Cazrich42 »

Well done you! It's quite a feat to even get this far, I feel. I also felt quite emotional on my first day, I think it's the realisation that it is achievable.
What time of day are you running? I have to go before work, so set my alarm for 5.50am and go out about 6.15. I have to say I don't notice the temperature after 2 mins walking, but when I go to work later I think 'how did I not notice how freezing it was'?
I quite like the slightly ache-y feel that I get during the day as it reminds me what I have done!!
I was quite surprised how much longer the extra 30 seconds feels ?!! I was well and truly ready for the walking bits but felt like I was walking like a clown (good job it was dark) during the walk bits. I get this kind of almost cramp feeling in my calf muscles and down the front of my shins, it feels as if it's due to not enough oxygen getting to my muscles?? I've had it before, and I know it goes away the fitter I get, but it's really uncomfortable.
But I did it and it doesn't put me off, which is the power of this programme. Also I can't believe I'm in week 2 already, and after 1 more run you'll be there too. :)
Let me know how the next one goes?
LinP

Post by LinP »

Caz go you!! I have no idea how ill the 1.5 mins runnin will feel. At the end of the one minute I'm ready to stop!

Totally with you on the temperature thing. I'm a total wuss about cold. I feel colder than anyone else I know and do I whinge!

Today was 5.5 degrees according to my car and after the first run I took a layer off, I was boiling. It's a strange sensation being so hot when people walking by are so wrapped up. That hot feeling lasted hours.
I'm running at about 9.30 Til 10.00.

I have 6 children (omg yes I know lol) but my oldest Is away at uni, the two other teens see to them selves in the morning and I have to her the 3 youngest up and out to school. Then I drive the 10mins to a park where I can run by the river and away from the road. So I'm running later than you when it's not so cold. I did get some running gloves (TK MAXX bargain) and they help. I have an armband for my iPhone but its too big and slips down. I have to find one in the shops so i can try the next one on.

Oh and earphones! I bought Ifrogz (the in-ear ones) because they were recommended on a running site but they slowly fall out with each step. I like good loud music so it's a problem! I just ordered some JVC ones which hook over your ears so ill see what they're like. I have a feeling this will be an ongoing battle lol.

We're doing it Caz! Yay us xx