New and desperately unfit hello and diary :)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LinP

Re: New and desperately unfit hello and diary :)

Post by LinP »

W5R2

This was the 2 x 8 minute runs. I hadnt been looking forward to this because I thought that second 8 minutes was going to be really rough but for whatever reason it was ok. The time flew more than in any other run. I passed a few runners and for once I was running too not walking so that felt good!

I ate a mountain of porridge this morning about an hour and a half before running so maybe that helped :)

Next is the dreaded 20 minute run. Thats a whole other ballgame entirely. Thats on Monday for me and I'll have had two rest days which I actually think is one too many for me. I think I seize up a bit (I am 40 lol). But I need to stick to my running days because they work around the children well.

Hope anyone reading this is well and enjoying the app too. Caz if youre out there I hope youre ok chuck x
LinP

Post by LinP »

I did it!! 20 minutes :)

This morning. I really wasnt in the game at first. I was still suffering from a cracking hangover from Saturday night and the associated carb fest yesterday. Sluggish doesn't cover it.

I started out ok. 5 mins in I started a me tall battle with myself making silly excuses as to why I wasn't going to make it. Ill do it again on wednesday bla bla bla.

The 10 to 15 minute section was probably hardest and I felt tired but I found that I could still go on. Tired yes but the legs carried on. When the 20 mins were up it actually came as a shock the last 5 flew. I'd slowed my pace and I felt I could go on longer and I did. Only a minute or two. When. Claire said that's it you've done 20 minutes and you can now call yourself a runner I'm not ashamed to say I had tears springing in my eyes. It felt incredible.

I recovered fast and i feel great. I really dreaded this run. I hovered around the kitchen finding things to do lol. I do feel like I passed a turning point today. Very happy :)

Lin x
LinP

Post by LinP »

w6r1

Well sort of...

It was -4* C this morning when I got to the park. I was going to run the run as per the plan but when I got out of the car I changed my plans :(

I didn't warm up properly and I just started running (slooooowly). It was too cold to do anything but. When the prompt said walk I carried on running because the thought of slowing and walking and cooling down again when I was all sweaty was just too much. I ran for 25 minutes. I listened to the app so I knew when I got to 20 minutes but I was still ok to carry on so I gave it that last bit and stopped at 25 mins.

I will do 25mins again on Friday and carry on from there. I dont see any benefit in going back to intervals now. I'm pinching myself here a bit. It doesnt seem possible that I can run this long when I was so very unfit but there it is. Im proof :)

Lin
LinP

Post by LinP »

W6R3

Torrential rain. Absolutely throwing it down. I sat and waited for it to calm down BYT gave up because I had too much to do that day so off I went. I for soaked tjeoigh and actually enjoyed it but at 23 minutes a got a eeallt severe stitch and had to stop. I was so drenched I bailed. I have a few more 25 minute runs coming up so ill work on it! I'm really loving running :)
LinP

Post by LinP »

W7R1

This is one of the 25 min runs and there are a couple more.

It was fine. I was tired but I completed it. I think I seem to be more tired on the Monday runs after the weekend which is rest. Then wed and fri get easier (hopefully!)

Hubby is getting me a Nike+ GPS watch for Christmas because runkeeper is definitely going wonky on me.

Hope you're all well :)
TheDogAteMyName

Post by TheDogAteMyName »

You can do this! Yes, it will be uncomfortable. It's certainly not as easy as sitting on a couch watching tv. I've been running for nearly a year and I started with this program. Your body was made to move and to work, it's a fierce piece of machinery! If you don't use it you will lose it. Just do it and don't worry that you'll fail. Don't give yourself any excuses. Know you can and will achieve this goal. The hardest part is starting.
LinP

Post by LinP »

Thanks for the encouragement :) I'm feeling really good about running so I know what you mean.

Today was W7R2

It went well. I do get a bit of an energy slump after about 5 mins. Not sure what that's about but it seems to be a pattern. I was running along quite well when Claire said that I'd finished the 25mins. Of course them i suddenly realise how long I'd run and yhen of course how tired my legs were and stopped. I'm wondering how much further I'd have gone if she hasn't piped up. Not far I'm sure but maybe 28 mins isn't beyond me... I hope not!
LinP

Post by LinP »

W7R3 BUT....

I was meant to run yesterday but hot caught up with family Christmas things and it had to be shelved. I lay awake last night really wishing I'd run. I felt like something was missing. I hadn't missed any since starting this. I couldn't sleep and was reading the Running bug website and in particular an article about the mental battles a with running and about how attitude makes all the difference. Very interesting. Them I downloaded some more tunes for the running playlist and fell asleep.

Anyway. I went out this morning and felt great. I started running and decided to definitely do 28 mins instead of 25. Then when I got to 20 minutes I wasn't even slightly tired. It was just the oddest thing. I wasnt tired. It was raining hard
And I'd been ankle deep in water (path by the river deep in water so it was run through it or swim!) and I wasn't tired. I just knew I could do the full half hour so i did!!

When Claire said I'd finished 28 minutes I carried on. I stopped after 30 mins and 30 seconds. I felt absolutely amazing. I've bored everyone at home shitless :)

Ill be doing 30 mins again next time and soon ill be finished. :)

I am so grateful to this app and to the people here whose posts I've read (all of them probably!)

Lin x
LinP

Post by LinP »

W9 ..

I skipped the 28 minute runs and a 30 min run because I ran 30 mins last time out. So I was surprised to notice just now that the app says I've finished! I must have skipped one too many.

So it says I've finished and I feel like I have. I ran 35 mins this morning and that completes a route I love. Ill do that again to few times to consolidate that progress before I decide what's next.

It's Christmas Eve and I feel like I just gave myself the best Christmas present ever. I'm never going back to life without exercise and all this energy. I feel stronger and like I've achieved something here.

I love running. I never considered giving up but at times it was hard. Suddenly it feels better though. Like a switch has been flicked. It's hard work but it feels good and positive.

I will be looking for a C25k graduate T shirt and ill wear it with huge pride.

To anyone reading this as a starter, grab this and trust the programme. It works, I was so unfit, I couldn't run to the end of my road. Not even close actually.

Thankyou to the creators of this plan and when you have 5 minutes can we have a 5-10k plan please??

Lin x
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Hi! Thank you for the encouraging posts!
I am a newbie at this running lark. I used to be a keen sports person, loving walking, horse riding, swimming, skiing and snowboarding. A very demanding job put a stop to my fitness because it involved long days of office work sat in front of a computer and long drives in the car. I semi retired last year and decided to tackle my weight and fitness problems. I have just returned from a 7 days snowboarding holiday. I joined an intermediate class and managed to keep up with the youngsters in my class except on the last day when I got really puffed out and could not get myself out of the snow, where I had fallen off piste, without the help of the instructor. I realised my weight and general fitness levels were to blame and decided I had to keep up the good work and try and continue to keep fit in order to have an even better time on my next snowboarding holiday. I completed my Week 1 Run 1 this morning after reading the posts on this forum. I worked up a sweat and came home with a very red face but felt very proud of myself. I just hope I can keep it up and lose some weight as I tone up. BTW, I am a 62 years old female so I guess it is never too late. Good luck everyone! Frankie